Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve cover gasket - regular or silicone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trouble with such gaskets..like the Real Gaskets ones..is that you cant tighten the bolts very mich before the rubber squishes out and gets deformed and allows leakage spots. You have to use some removable locktite on the bolts so they dont wiggle out and fall off the bike. OEM suzuki gaskets are hands down the way to go...unless you like oil all over the engine.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      The trouble with such gaskets..like the Real Gaskets ones..is that you cant tighten the bolts very mich before the rubber squishes out and gets deformed and allows leakage spots. You have to use some removable locktite on the bolts so they dont wiggle out and fall off the bike. OEM suzuki gaskets are hands down the way to go...unless you like oil all over the engine.
      I never used any sort of thread locker on my Realgasket, and in fact, the threads usually had some random oil on them -- I never really cleaned them off. Never had a bolt back out.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

i've had my realgasket on the 850 for close to 4500 miles now.

started noticing some seepage (not a leak, just tiny bit of oil) about 3 weeks ago, felt one of the bolts was looser than the rest. retorqued and it's fine again, spotless. the seeping was a nice reminder that it's time for a valve adjustment.

yes, the rubber will squish, IF you overtighten it. on the other hand, IF you read and follow the INSTRUCTIONS, it will not

ymmv, OEM might be easier in some respects but i like not having to scrape or replace this.

Comment

If you put a film of grease or anti seize on the head side of the gasket you dont scrape anything..it will come right off when you remove the cover.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X