tach cable seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach cable seal

I just got a replacement cable for my 79 GS1000L. I replaced the previous one with a OEM suzuki part which lasted about one year. Having prided myself on replacing maintenance parts with only OEM, exceptions being tires, brake pads, fluids, etc. I was shocked this part didn't last and instantly spun into a mantrum, quickly "removed" said item and tossed it. Seems that there was an oring seal in the head for this part (no gone), pic attached.

Hi,

The tach gear seals are internal. There is no O-ring with the cable as you have pictured. CLICK HERE for more info.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What BC said -- there's an internal seal.

However, I usually do put an o-ring inside the tach cable fitting simply to give it something to "squish" against so it doesn't vibrate loose as easily. I lost a few cables when the tach cable came unscrewed from vibration. I haven't lost one since I started doing this.

Just find an o-ring from a cheapo assortment that seems about right and pop it in the fitting -- it should sit at the bottom up against the threads. No, I don't know what size o-ring it was...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Harbor Freight has a 225 metric nitrile O-ring assortment available for $3.99.

Also, I had the same problem with my '79 GS1000EN tach cable. It just "unscrewed" from underneath the crimp, so I recrimped it, and after awhile it did it again. So, I cleaned it up and put some red lock tite on it and recrimped it again, so far, so good. I don't use a little O-ring in there though.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
        X