Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 530 chain--to degrease or not to degrease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 530 chain--to degrease or not to degrease?

I just got a new chain and sprockets. The Chain is an RK "X-ring"-type chain, and it is covered in a really thick layer of the factory grease/wax/whatever it is.

Does this stuff need to come off completely before I install, or do I leave it on? Do I just wipe off the excess?

I understand the importance of protecting the outside as well as the inside of the chain, I just want to make sure I'm going get this chain started out right.

leave it as it is, a quick wipe over to remove any excess is ok but you should just fit it as it comes out the wrapper.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That grease is messy as hell, it will fling everywhere, and dirt will stick to it.

I usually wipe it off as best I can and apply a dose of my usual chain wax.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The grease is a preservative, designed to keep the product from oxidizing (rusting) while it sits on the shelf waiting to be sold/installed. It is not designed as a lubricant.
        I do exactly what bwringer does; remove as much as possible and use a proper lubricant on it.

Comment

The RK-XW ring chain is a mighty fine chain.
          Goe with bwringers suggestion.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Okay, going to clean it up first. I have a bunch of simple green, think I'll go that route.

Does anyone think that dipping it in my ultrasonic cleaner might be a bit overkill and/or force the degreaser past the o-rings? I'm most likely to do it by hand, but that ultrasonic is just so damn efficient...

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              The RK-XW ring chain is a mighty fine chain.
              Goe with bwringers suggestion.
              I've reconsidered, Go with Agemax's suggestion. That grease won't hurt it and having put one on my GS1100E I don't remember it flinging off. Should you start applying degreasing agents to it, you risk the chance of getting the grease out from the seals and trash the chain, or diluting or weakening the protection. It needs to break in, give it the chance to do that.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                Okay, going to clean it up first. I have a bunch of simple green, think I'll go that route.

Does anyone think that dipping it in my ultrasonic cleaner might be a bit overkill and/or force the degreaser past the o-rings? I'm most likely to do it by hand, but that ultrasonic is just so damn efficient...
                that will completely destroy a new chain in a few hundred miles, invalidate any kind of warranty that came with the chain, and cost you the price of another new one.

but hey, thats just my opinion, you do what you think is best
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  that will completely destroy a new chain in a few hundred miles, invalidate any kind of warranty that came with the chain, and cost you the price of another new one.

but hey, thats just my opinion, you do what you think is best
                  Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking and why I asked...

Comment

To clean a chain, any chain, do the following:
                    Dip a cloth in kerosene. Rotating the wheel backward (by hand), clean all the gunk off the chain with the cloth. You rotate the wheel backward so you don't run the risk of getting the cloth or your digits caught between the rear sprocket and the chain.
                    Be it the preservative or just road dirt, clean it off and let it dry. Then, using a good chain lubricant (the Teflon sprays and waxes are the current favorites) lube the links and the rollers. Most of the current crop of lubes do not need to be wiped down afterward to remove any excess, they set up right on the chain.
                    Do not use a general degreaser such as Simple Green, and for gosh sakes, DO NOT use Water-Displacement formula 40, also known as WD-40. It is neither a degreaser nor a lubricant, no matter what folk say.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Do not use a general degreaser such as Simple Green, and for gosh sakes, DO NOT use Water-Displacement formula 40, also known as WD-40. It is neither a degreaser nor a lubricant, no matter what folk say.
                      RK America endorses WD-40 on their chains.
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Chuck it on and use it, your over thinking it, its a chain and save the degreaser for cleaning up any throw off

Comment

DO NOT use Water-Displacement formula 40, also known as WD-40. It is neither a degreaser nor a lubricant, no matter what folk say.
                          Wikipedia says otherwise, and so does the official WD40 website.......

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.[4] This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then evaporates away.
                          These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture, as this is its original purpose and design intent.

NOTE. this is a clip from the website. NOT my opinion or my made up statement. if you choose not to believe it, do not attack me for posting it. i am merely posting it for people to see for themselves and make their own mind up.
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            Wikipedia says otherwise, and so does the official WD40 website.......

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.[4] This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then evaporates away.
                            These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture, as this is its original purpose and design intent.

NOTE. this is a clip from the website. NOT my opinion or my made up statement. if you choose not to believe it, do not attack me for posting it. i am merely posting it for people to see for themselves and make their own mind up.
                            No attack required. Marketing folk will say all sorts of things.
                            Note the highlighted parts.
                            I personally only use a product designed from the start to lubricate. Make up your own mind.

Comment

No attack required. Marketing folk will say all sorts of things.
                              Note the highlighted parts.
                              I personally only use a product designed from the start to lubricate. Make up your own mind.
                              These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages.

also note highlighted section.........not a lubricant or degreaser?
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X