clutch cable replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable replacement

How often should you replace your clutch cable? I replaced mine last season because the oem one snapped. Now today the new clutch cable snapped...not even half a season on it. Should that be? What is a good cable to get and where? GS850GLD 1983. Had a motion pro clutch cable.

if it snaps in that short time it is usually down to a cheap inferior cable or it is badly routed and has a kink, or to sharp a bend in it
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I routed it the same as the previous cable, which I myself went through 2 seasons with. Cant say for sure how old it was. It snapped at the lever just as it did last time.

Comment

is the lever or perch worn? that will cause the cable to break there. the hole becomes elongated in the lever and it becomes a sloppy fit
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Sometimes there's a nylon bushing that fits around the end of the cable, this allows the cable to pivot without putting undue stress on the wired part of the cable which would be like bending it every time you use the clutch. If you don't have one of those put a little grease on it, if you do have one of those put a little grease on it. Other than that I can't think of any other reason why it would go so quickly, unless it was a inferior quality cable to begin with.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by kjsamm View Post
            How often should you replace your clutch cable? I replaced mine last season because the oem one snapped. Now today the new clutch cable snapped...not even half a season on it. Should that be? What is a good cable to get and where? GS850GLD 1983. Had a motion pro clutch cable.
            Had a Motion Pro cable at one time as well. got 3 years out of it, went back to OEM cable. OEM is a stronger cable by far. Though do as suggested and check your routing, kinks etc.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

OMG, I still have the original clutch and xxxxxxxx, and throttle cable on my bike....I must be doing something wrong.....

OOOPPPPPSSSSS

no brake cable.....LOL

Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                OMG, I still have the original clutch and brake, and throttle cable on my bike....I must be doing something wrong.....

you have a brake cable?
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  OMG, I still have the original clutch and brake, and throttle cable on my bike....I must be doing something wrong.....

Probably so . I got 28 years off my OEM clutch cable and 32 years off my brake lines lol. I wore out more clutch and brake levers then anything else.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    you have a brake cable?
                    OOOPPPPPSSSSS

no brake cable.....LOL

I was thinking the choke cable........ohhhh well

I was a wee bit overzealous.....

Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

As noted previously, the lever may be worn. VERY common on older bikes, especially if an aftermarket lever has been installed.

Replace both the cable and the lever with OEM pieces -- they're far better quality than the Motion Pro/Parts Unlimited junk, and the cost difference is minor.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                      X