Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REALLY suzuki? really?? Throttle cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use hemostats to put the cables in.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I found a comfortable position to hold the throttle open with my left hand while getting the damn cable on. The best tool for me was a longer screwdriver and it was easy once I decided to be patient. I had it in position so many times but it was tough to keep it there. Walked away from it a few times. This was way less frustrating than getting the carbs back in.
      Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Holding the throttle linkage up with my left hand, I found it fairly easy to maneuver the ball of the cable into the slot with my right by holding the wire itself and setting the ball in place. Then I just push it in with my hand and let go of the linkage.

But yea, it's much easier when the carbs are off.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          I'm sure there must be SOMETHING else you can do with them while you have the carbs off
          Sure, intake boots but then I'd have to wait a week to have them delivered!

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
            I found a comfortable position to hold the throttle open with my left hand while getting the damn cable on. The best tool for me was a longer screwdriver and it was easy once I decided to be patient. I had it in position so many times but it was tough to keep it there. Walked away from it a few times. This was way less frustrating than getting the carbs back in.
            Hah, yeah I'm currently weighing those options... which is less frustrating...

Comment

Good luck. Let us know what path you chose.
              Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

It can be done. It takes two people. It's a pain...but I've done it before.

Comment

Ran into the exact same problem recently. It was just easier, to pull the carbs back and attach it. Not fun, but I didn't see any workable way to do it without risking damage to the cable without pulling the carbs back from the intake boots. Sorry. I know it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                    Ran into the exact same problem recently. It was just easier, to pull the carbs back and attach it. Not fun, but I didn't see any workable way to do it without risking damage to the cable without pulling the carbs back from the intake boots. Sorry. I know it sucks.
                    Yup I feel like this is the best way. Seems I'm not alone in this, maybe we should start a GS650 carburetor support club?

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                      Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
                      Yup I feel like this is the best way. Seems I'm not alone in this, maybe we should start a GS650 carburetor support club?

Both routes will send your emotions through the roof, but the frustration from trying to squeeze the carbs in can just about make a grown man cry.
                      Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
                        maybe we should start a GS650 carburetor support club?
                        I love my 650, but it certainly has it's quirks.

Comment

The deed has been done. I just loosened the clamps on the intake boots and the main clamp that connects the air box to the filter housing, slid everything back and that gave just enough room to get in there and connect things. I feel like I've done this so many times now.

Oh and I'll be doing it again in like a week when the new intake boots I ordered arrive

Comment

Working...
                          X