Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a GS 850 G

Hi guys

I have the opportunity to buy a 1980 GS 850 G. Please give me a heads up on things to look out for.

Also the seller said the engine smokes a bit. Would this be a red flag or is it worth it checking the bike out?

Thanks
    AJ

There's a list on Basscliff's site, adapted from one of my rants years ago, of all the steps needed in order to restore your 850 to running and handling better than new.

Here ya go:

Overall, the more of this list that has actually been done, and done correctly, the better. Unless you're buying from a well-known GSR forum member, do NOT believe ANYTHING the seller tells you unless you can verify it with your own eyes.

But generally, just go into any older bike purchase with the attitude that you're going to spend another $600 - $900 and several weekends making the bike work the way it should.

This is the biggest mistake GS buyers make -- they don't understand that you WILL need to spend a bit of money and time on a 30 year old piece of machinery. If all you see is "cheap bike" and you're thinking "I'll save on gas", you should probably buy a used Toyota.

On the plus side, it's well worth it -- out of all the bikes from that era, Suzukis were fundamentally superior from the factory in many ways, they're very well-understood, and all the knowledge and help you need is right here on the GSR forum. Many of us regularly ride our GSs long distances and flog them hard, with excellent reliability.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Also - tell us what part of the planet you're on. There very well may be a GSR member willing to help you with inspection and insight....

At the very very least, post photos....

Comment

You're going to get lots of advice on mechanical maintenence... so let me come at it from another angle. Does it have the curved chrome trim pcs. on the bottom of each side of the seat? Does the rear cowl have the chrome trim piece around the rear light? Both of these are prized original pieces that are not easy to get afterwards. Also is the bodywork in good shape? So long as it's not dented up.. paint can be refreshed surprisingly well for not a lot of money.

Comment

Good point -- cosmetic condition really counts for a lot. All the mechanical parts and such are fairly easily available, but good tanks, side covers, chrome bits, trim, etc. are NLA.

If you find a bike that looks great and only needs the usual mechanical updates, grab it quick.

The smoking you mentioned could be worrisome -- it could be as simple as valve stem seals, or it could be rings. In the case of the 850, it's quite rare for them to actually wear out the rings even at very high mileages, so if it's rings or you don't feel comfortable changing out the valve stem seals (you need a few special tools) you might want to pass.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the list bwringer, that helps a lot. This is a purchase to get back into riding and to explore the Cape area on weekends or whenever the weather is good (which it is for most of the year). I should be able to get this one quite cheap and have a bit extra for repairs and cosmetics. We are also going into winter now (winter rain fall) so there will be time to get the hands dirty.
            850 GT I live in Cape Town South Africa and I added a photo as requested. The cable hanging over the seat is the clutch cable that also needs to be replaced. Please let me know what your impression is and if their are glaring visible issues.
            Planetsmasher - your thoughts on the pieces still left on the bike?

Thanks again guys, this helps a lot

Comment

Picture no worky.

Comment

Hi AJs Adv

Welcome from a fellow W-Cape GS'er! You have certainly come to the right place for a treasure trove of information on these wonderful machines!

I cannot see your photo, so something did not work correctly? I will send you a message via Personal Message, giving my contact details. I will gladly assist where I can. I bought my GS850G new in 1981 and she has never seen the inside of a dealer workshop, as I do all the maintenance work myself. She is actually due for a rather large maintenance list soon, now that winter is here in its full force.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Apologies - let me try the photo again

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                    Hi AJs Adv

Welcome from a fellow W-Cape GS'er! You have certainly come to the right place for a treasure trove of information on these wonderful machines!

I cannot see your photo, so something did not work correctly? I will send you a message via Personal Message, giving my contact details. I will gladly assist where I can. I bought my GS850G new in 1981 and she has never seen the inside of a dealer workshop, as I do all the maintenance work myself. She is actually due for a rather large maintenance list soon, now that winter is here in its full force.
                    Hi 2BRacing - thanks - got it and an email is on its way

Comment

Quite a few things not stock anymore: front and rear mudguards; side covers; seat.

It will depend on what you want the bike for - just as a "runabout" or something you want to restore to its original glory.

The problem is that parts such as those mentioned above are very scarce here in SA, and would have to be sourced from USA. Shipping costs would be high for larger items. However, I have ordered new OEM parts which were relatively small in size (fuel tap, brake and master cylinder kits, carb and airbox intake rubbers, clutch springs, etc) from Z1 Enterprises in USA and shipping was 14 days and not so expensive. Total cost was about half of local dealer quoted prices (Suzuki South in Wynberg).
                      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Yep, It's a long long way from stock... and that's not particularly a bad thing, but it should be reflected in the price you pay. Could be an awesome bike really, so long as you're not a purist.

Comment

Understanding the OP is in the RSA, and as such, things are a bit more difficult to come by, I'd take a pass on that particular bike unless you just plan on riding it pretty much as it is.

Sorry...
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                          X