What is this attached to my kickstand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this attached to my kickstand?

After removing my kickstand, in addition to the kickstand spring, I noticed a wire connected to it running to some sort of sensor. It is clear that when the kickstand is down it causes this wire to be pulled and actuate some sensor or switch. The bike still drives with the kickstand down (found this one out the hard way) so I am wondering what this thing is all about?

You should have an idiot light on your instrument cluster that lights when the side stand is down. If it dont light up its the bulb, switch, or the wire running between the two.

Tell us what bike it is and someone with the same model will give you the details on it.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yep side stand engaged switch, new bikes wont start at all with the stand down.

Comment

A LOT of what it might be would depend on WHAT BIKE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is an '83 650L (adding it to my sig now).

Is the light located in the same location as my turn signals and neutral light?

Comment

Bet it looks something like this, doesn't it?
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Mine Starts

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              Yep side stand engaged switch, new bikes wont start at all with the stand down.
              My "T" will start with kickstand down and bike in Nuetral. It's how I always start my bike.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Seleden- That's it. Where is the light located?

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  My "T" will start with kickstand down and bike in Nuetral. It's how I always start my bike.

Ed
                  Your bike should start regardless of kick stand position or gear that is engaged, as long as you pull the clutch lever (unless you have bypassed that switch).

The GS series bikes do not have any interlocks in the starter except that one in the clutch lever.

They also do not cut the ignition if a gear is engaged while the kick stand is down.

This was only the beginning of the "nanny state" of interlocks, so we were just "blessed" with one.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Since I don't see a light coming on anywhere can someone tell me where I should look so I can fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Steamroller View Post
                      Since I don't see a light coming on anywhere can someone tell me where I should look so I can fix it?
                      Sidestand light is In about same place as the oil pressure light, the high beam light and the netural light (on Gs anyway, not certain about Ls)

The kickstand switch closing (turning on, making contact) makes the sidestand light come on (and has no other function, doesn't effect starter or ignition or anything).
                      Maybe your switch has never worked, and never made the light come on. Or maybe don't have a good bulb.

Can simulate the sidestand switch by connecting the wire to ground. That should simulate the swtich closing like it should when the side stand is not fully up and make the light come on.

Although, in addition to all this; the oil pressure sensor is suppose to make the Oil Light (red) AND the sidestand light (another red) BOTH come on. But sidestand swtich only makes the sidestand light come on. COuld discuss how that is possible, but that is getting even further away from the original discussion point.

Last edited by Redman; 09-04-2013, 10:05 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

No Bypass

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Your bike should start regardless of kick stand position or gear that is engaged, as long as you pull the clutch lever (unless you have bypassed that switch).

The GS series bikes do not have any interlocks in the starter except that one in the clutch lever.

They also do not cut the ignition if a gear is engaged while the kick stand is down.

This was only the beginning of the "nanny state" of interlocks, so we were just "blessed" with one.

That's good to know the bike will start as long as the clutch is disengaged. I haven't messed with the ignition system so I couldn't tell you if there's a bypass.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          That's good to know the bike will start as long as the clutch is disengaged. I haven't messed with the ignition system so I couldn't tell you if there's a bypass.

Ed
                          Easy way to see if the clutch interlock is still functioning is to not pull in clutch and hit starter button, if starter doesn't go, there is one clue. Then pull in clutch and if starter goes then you know the clutch interlock is functioning.

If look on schematic, it is called "Interlock".

TO find some of the wiring, look under clutch handle, follow the wires into the headlight shell (on G anyway).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I guess I can only upload 1 picture at a time. Here is the wiring diagram for my '83 650L. There is no sidestand switch or light on here, but there is definitely a sidestand switch on my bike.

Comment

Here is a pic of my dash. I don't see anywhere for a sidestand light. The sidestand has no effect on the oil light. My bike starts in any gear with the sidestand down so long as the clutch is in.

Comment

Working...
                              X