Impossible gasket--how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible gasket--how to?

I'm doing a shim update on a GS 1100. The previous owner or a shop put some kind of brown looking adhesive on the gasket--I guess to seal it. I don't want to gouge it up so am looking for suggestions on how to remove the adhesive and gasket material left on the head and valve cover. I've already tried soaking in PB blaster, laquer thinner, and acetone (acetone and laquer dry to fast to really soak) any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

single sided razor blades.
    and maybe a few stitches...yes you can injure yourself easily.

Comment

I was hoping to get it off without scaping with anything metal because I've witnessed others really gar up heads with a razor. I think thats what I will have to do because I am out of ideas on what to use to soften or disolve the glue. Thanks much for the suggestions!!!

Comment

Have you tried gasket remover? NAPA sells it among others. Paint remover might work too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I had a lot of luck with Permatex Gasket Remover. I was able to find it at my local ACE Hardware.

Comment

There's a special circle in hell for people who use hardening gasket sealer.

My 850's engine was covered in this crap.

I feel your pain, man. The Permatex gasket remover might soften it a little, but it will also eat up the paint -- you'll want to find a way to apply it precisely.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Patience is your best friend.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Spray some of that Permatex gasket remover spray in a cup and dab it on the gasket with an acid brush or similar. Allow about 15 min's to soften the gasket and then scrape. Reapply and rescrape as many times as necessary. Messy and slow job, but not difficult unless you get impatient.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  ... not difficult unless you get impatient.
                  So, difficult then.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    There's a special circle in hell for people who use hardening gasket sealer.
                    Have they any room for people who have used super mega-sticky black rtv sealer for the ends of 850 airboxes ?
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

i find a sharp wood chisel works better (and more safely) than a razor blade.

greg
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                        I had a lot of luck with Permatex Gasket Remover. I was able to find it at my local ACE Hardware.
                        +1
                        I had a similar problem and tried the chemicals you mentioned and then some. Finally found some of this permatex gasket remover at Pep boys for $8.99 and bought the plastic razor blades as well. It still took some time, but this stuff seemed to work better than the others. Brush a little on, wait 10 mins and try to catch an edge with the plastic razor blade or a bamboo chopstick. Worked on it over 2 days but finally achieved the desired result.

You'll get good with the brush applicator after several tries.

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
                          Worked on it over 2 days but finally achieved the desired result.
                          I think this is the take away here. Do not expect the gasket to come off in an afternoon, even if it's an OEM one in some cases, depending on how long it's been since it's been replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                            i find a sharp wood chisel works better (and more safely) than a razor blade.
                            That is also my preferred "weapon".

I have an old one with a broken handle. With the handle missing, I can get into slightly smaller spaces.

It is just very nice to run it along the top edge of the head, knowing that it will only lift the gasket, not dig into the metal.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                            X