Broken O-Ring on Chain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken O-Ring on Chain!

Hey ~ just discovered my chain has a broken o-ring on it.
    Aside from that, it seems to be fine, but wondering if this was anything to worry about.

I'm looking at replacement drive chains....only to find them for $260?? lol

That link will start to wear. Eventually it will be worn out. No big deal as other o rings will fall out too. It's probbly thirty years old. It's done it's time.
    Get a new chain and new sprockets. Consider going with a 530 conversion.
    $260 is high. Look on Ebay or some of the online moto places. Should be $150 ish for the set.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      That link will start to wear. Eventually it will be worn out. No big deal as other o rings will fall out too. It's probbly thirty years old. It's done it's time.
      Get a new chain and new sprockets. Consider going with a 530 conversion.
      $260 is high. Look on Ebay or some of the online moto places. Should be $150 ish for the set.
      Yeah, found the chain for $45 on ebay. I'll do some research into the advantages of the 530 conversion.

Comment

All you need to know:
        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Actually, you'll likely need to call them (Look for an app called "Phone" on your phone. You talk into it.) to sort out the necessary components. But they'll have high-quality stuff at very reasonable prices.

I'm not sure whether your 750 came with a 630 or 530 chain, but you'll want 530. Modern chains are hella strong. Replace the sprockets, too, or you'll be wondering why your brand-new chain wore out so damn fast. Replaced as a set and with reasonable care, you should easily get 30,000 miles out of a chain and sprocket set.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah, I've ordered from Z1 before. Extremely happy with their fast shipping service too. Order on a Friday morning ~ it shipped same day, and arrived Monday. Perfect!

Hit up Z1 for the 530 conversion kit.
          530 Chain 116 link ($105)
          530 18T Front Sprocket ($13)
          530 49T Rear Sprocket ($48)
          530 Split Link ($5)

About $160 sounds right.
          Now...time to research on how to slap that bad boy on.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaaaaaaaachooo View Post
            Yeah, I've ordered from Z1 before. Extremely happy with their fast shipping service too. Order on a Friday morning ~ it shipped same day, and arrived Monday. Perfect!

Hit up Z1 for the 530 conversion kit.
            530 Chain 116 link ($105)
            530 18T Front Sprocket ($13)
            530 49T Rear Sprocket ($48)
            530 Split Link ($5)

About $160 sounds right.
            Now...time to research on how to slap that bad boy on.
            Installing is easy, first take off the left side cover over the sprocket, make sure you have an impact tool handy. Why? If that cover hasn't been off in a while the screws will be most difficult to remove. Remove the rear wheel so you can replace the rear sprocket, make you use the lock tabs again or get some new ones if they are pretty beaten up Other then that, just follow the instructions that come with the sprockets and chain. Check your torque settings and get busy. Ah, one thing, before you take off the rear wheel and chain, make sure you break loose the front sprocket nut first. You'll need the chain and wheel to lock it in place to loosen. Put a stout piece of wood or something between the rear wheel spoke/mag and let it set against the swing arm to lock it down.
            Last edited by mrbill5491; 10-24-2013, 06:49 PM.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X