Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tyre problem

HI guys
    Im having trouble obtaining standard tyres for my gs1000G 1980. from what I have tried so far Avon are the only possible suppliers, can anyone suggest what other suppliers there might be as I am having no luck with my dealer in suppling Avons,
    mark

Approximately where are you on this big blue marble we call home? That makes a big difference in available suppliers and tire models.

Unless you're not going to ride the bike anywhere, don't look for original tires, or duplicates of the original tires.

Take advantage of modern technology -- there are several excellent modern tires in the correct sizes for your bike (100/90-19 front, 130/90-17 rear) that will work far better than they ever dreamed of in the 1980s.

You mentioned Avons -- the Avon AM26 RoadRider is my #1 choice. If you're on a tight budget, the Shinko 230 Tourmaster works very well, but it doesn't last as long as the Avon. In between, there are excellent choices from every major tire manufacturer.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I run Bridgestones (BT45's I think) on my 'S .
      They wear well , but , grip goes to $hit before you hit the wear bars .
      Good in the wet as well .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Those are great choices, I have also used Metzler and you can probably find them in your area.

1979 GS1000

Comment

tyres

I live Down Under in perth, My suzuki dealer is struggling to find any tyre to fit my bike, So if you guy's can give me all info you can on sizes etc I can pass it on
          Cheers
          mark

Comment

I run Bridgestone Battlax's (BT45's) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I get them through a car tyre dealer .
            Cheaper by about $40 than through a bike shop .
            He fits them for free and disposes of the old ones for free as well .
            I'd say your Suzuki dealer doesn't struggle very hard .
            Give him the arse and go to a Bridgestone shop .

Cheers , Simon .

PS . I'm from Aus as well .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

tyres

your right simon he wasnt trying very hard, after the sizes given I looked at michelin who had 3 type,metzler how had 2 types and dynlop had several, When I called me dealer up and told him, he said he could get metzler easy and fit tommorow bearing in mind he said he'd searched before with no luck, so ye didnt try very hard, after I had been waiting 2months for the tyres
              mark

Comment

Helped a friend fit some Metzler Lasertec's to his 850 and they wore really fast. Very surprised by the poor life. Always thought Metzler's were longer lasting. Sidewall's cracked all to heck too.

Avon Roadriders are the forum favorite for good reason. Nice tires.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by bsa44161 View Post
                  your right simon he wasnt trying very hard, after the sizes given I looked at michelin who had 3 type,metzler how had 2 types and dynlop had several, When I called me dealer up and told him, he said he could get metzler easy and fit tommorow bearing in mind he said he'd searched before with no luck, so ye didnt try very hard, after I had been waiting 2months for the tyres
                  mark
                  I certainly wouldn't buy them from him. Can't you just order them on line and mount them yourself like everyone else does?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

mark
                    I can't really comment on what's available in OZ but I find it hard to believe you can't get any brand of tyre you want.

Your dealer sounds like he's either uninterested, stupid, or has bad connections

Don't you have something like the Motorcycle Superstore down under? I can order a set of tyres online and have them at my door in a few days.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

HI guys
                      Im having trouble obtaining standard tyres for my gs1000G 1980. from what I have tried so far Avon are the only possible suppliers, can anyone suggest what other suppliers there might be as I am having no luck with my dealer in suppling Avons,
                      mark
                      BSA44161: hit the user CP at the top of the page and include your location in your profile so questions like this can be answered specific to your locale.

I knew you were a fur-a-ner by the way you misspelled "tire"

Comment

Lots of people run 130 90 17. Those have many more possible choices.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

tyre

thanks guys
                          just had metzlers fitted, avon too hard to get it seems as only one supplier and that's eastern states, so I'll see how i go
                          thanks
                          mark

Comment

thanks guys
                            just had metzlers fitted, avon too hard to get it seems as only one supplier and that's eastern states, so I'll see how i go
                            thanks
                            mark
                            Best you get your next set orderd up well in advance'v you needing them then. bekos you'll need them.
                            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I hope you have good luck, I guess I was lucky at not having the Metz's dry up or die on the GS. I actually can't remember the milage I got out of the second set, then I got deals on other tyres, so I ended up with other brands.

(Oddly enough, Metz has their US headquarters nearby, but they probably don't want any complainers!)
                              Last edited by gsgeezer; 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X