No announcement yet.

Merry Christmas and a teeny problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We took the rear end apart. Bearing spin pretty smooth but they have brand new grease. The chain and sprocket were thoroughly cleaned along with the drum brake being inspected. I was only able to go for a very short drive (rain was coming in) but it seems the sound is gone. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll go out for a longer ride and see if we've licked the problem.

Comment

I have found that shoes can swell up with moisture and that the feathered edge of the shoe can rub before the rest of the shoe contacts the hub.

Results in the rhythmic contact which you can fell up your right foot.

You could just drive a bit doing a bit of hard breaking in a controlled space.

I had a bike once that also had a problem with the linkage.

24 may have a curve in it that will cause the breaks to partly lightly engage with swing arm movement.
      29 can become grooved exacerbation the problems.

Ill bet 20 bucks its not the wheel bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Take you pinky and put it in the bearing hole and see if you feel any kind of looseness of the inner and outer races. Up and down and side to side. The bearing should also roll without any feeling of notchyness...like a roller or a race has worn in flat spots anywhere.
        The best advice!

1979 GS1000

Comment

I actually have a new #24 on the way. When we took everything apart yesterday, the threads on the end of it are in pretty rough shape. I may order a new 29 even though visually it looks fine.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          I have found that shoes can swell up with moisture and that the feathered edge of the shoe can rub before the rest of the shoe contacts the hub.

Results in the rhythmic contact which you can fell up your right foot.

You could just drive a bit doing a bit of hard breaking in a controlled space.

I had a bike once that also had a problem with the linkage.

24 may have a curve in it that will cause the breaks to partly lightly engage with swing arm movement.
          29 can become grooved exacerbation the problems.

Ill bet 20 bucks its not the wheel bearings.

Comment

Working...
          X