after draining oil Sparkles found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
    I have not found anymore metal. I drained the oil and took the filter out and the bike sat for 2 days. Thats when I got ready to put the new filter and oil in and wiped out the crankcase hole where the filter goes and noted the sparkling metal. There were no bubbles.
    my attempt at humor from the post above mine(baby jar bubbles)..
    ride and keep your ears open.
    things may just work out...

Comment

no more sparkles found

I took off the oil pan no metal. Guess I'll just clean her up and put her back together. I'll see what happens at the next oil change.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
      Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

If for any reason you, or a recent past user used graphite or nickel or any other metallic grease to lube a cam or tacho cable or something near the engine, it will look like metal flakes in the oil when you drain it. It can take several oil changes to make it disappear. I see this everytime I replace a cam after using nickel antiseize during the instal. JFYI

Comment

Some small particles on the magnetic portion of your drain plug are perfectly normal. Change the oil and filter at the recommended intervals and you'll be fine. If the oil itself is shiny, you have another, probably bearing, problem. But that's not likely in these overbuilt motors unless they were abused.

Comment

I toasted a clutch bad and found metal.
            Knew I had problems as it would slip.
            Should have taken pictures.
            The basket was fine without any grooving, but a couple of the plates were cracked and broke off in places..
            The plates turning would rub the broken pieces.
            It was not the clutch fiber, but the plates holding the material/fiber.
            Replaced all the plates inside basket and new springs and running strong ever after.
            Kinda embarrassed to tell that as I should have taken it apart when it first started to slip but maybe it will help you.

Comment

Send in the oil for analysis ?

Oil analysis is a quick, nondestructive way to gauge the health of an engine by looking at what's in the oil. People use oil analysis for different reasons: to see if there are any problems developing, to see if their oil is working well in the engine, and to see if they can run longer oil changes. Get started with your analysis by ordering a free test kit.

Learn what's going on in your engine with oil analysis. Our free kits are easy to use and we explain the results in plain English!

Blackstone's standard analysis will tell you what you need to know about the condition of your engine and how it's wearing. The standard analysis costs $25.00 and includes the following:
              Spectral Exam: Establishes the levels of wear metals, silicon, and additives present in the oil. Also checks for coolant.
              Viscosity: Determines the grade of oil.
              Insolubles: Quantifies the percentage of solids present in the oil.
              Flashpoint: The flashpoint is the temperature at which the vapors from the oil ignite. When the flash is lower than it should be, it shows
              a contaminant (usually fuel) is present.
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

C'mon, it's really obvious what happened guys.

Someone put glitter in your oil.

Comment

Working...
                X