Leaking oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking oil!

So I've been doing a bunch of stuff to my. 78 gs 750.. Changed the oil and filter, change intake seals, rebuilt the carb properly(orings, new bigger jets, cleaned it up).. About to check for valve clearances.. I took the bike on a test ride around the block and it was running away better! But now it has a new oil leak.. It's not the oil pan, drain plug or that area with the oil window.. Is there other gaskets that are common to leak oil?

There are several places that can develop leaks. Can you give a general area, i.e left, right, front, ect.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Triam
      It'll help us if we know what model of bike you ride.
      1978 GS750e.. That's what it says on the neck of the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by ATNasty View Post
        So I've been doing a bunch of stuff to my. 78 gs 750..
        Originally posted by Triam
        It'll help us if we know what model of bike you ride.

sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          There are several places that can develop leaks. Can you give a general area, i.e left, right, front, ect.

cg
          Under the bike on the left side

Comment

Check the usual suspects: cam chain tensioner, oil pressure switch and starter motor O-ring to block. They all drain out of the hole/tube under the starter motor.

Comment

Clutch pushrod seal, countershaft seal are both common leaks, as is the stator over gasket and the cylinder base gasket.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                Check the usual suspects: cam chain tensioner, oil pressure switch and starter motor O-ring to block. They all drain out of the hole/tube under the starter motor.

Left side: In addition to those mentioned...excess chain oil or missing oil separation screens in the cam cover causing oil to be blown out the cam cover vent tube.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Your help is greatly appreciated!! For real I would be screwed without this website! Gonna take **** apart tomorrow and find the problem.. It's my day off.

Comment

Shift shaft seal.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

It's also very easy to pinch the oil filter cover o-ring when you install it.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                      X