No announcement yet.

GS valve bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you remove the tensioner make sure you follow the procedure given in the manual.

The inlet rubbers are the same as your bike on all the 550s (including the katana) fitted with CV carbs (so 1980 on model year).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Suzuki didn't change the parts very much over the years. Just about all the engine parts from 1980 and onward, CV carb bikes, will be the same. Regarding the buckets, as mentioned already, they are all the same. Replace the bucket if you are concern. Keep in mind that when changing the buckets you also need to adjust the valve since it will upset the setting.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I am getting good at doing these valves . I know that I have to check the valve clearance after changing the buckets. When buckets don't turn it means that they are slightly seized so it isn't clever (tkent02) to just ride it.
        I want to be able to ride it but don't fancy walking home with it. Or finding out that your valve hits a piston because it got stuck in the open position.

Comment

Carb boots. I think they look bad enough to renew but the price is very high. Did the ones yopu have changed even worse or about the same?

Comment

I have checked the price in the UK first as prices are a bit lower very often in the UK but still just over 125 pound and another 20 pound delevery costs. I have sent an e mail to the closest Suzuki dealer here to get a quote from them. Daft price I think for a piece of rubber with some meatal attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ton1959 View Post
              Carb boots. I think they look bad enough to renew but the price is very high. Did the ones yopu have changed even worse or about the same?
              The picture you show is the front boot and they are very firm usually, once the carbs are out you can see if the edge is flexible and not like a rock.

If rock hard and cracked replace, if somewhat movable you can clean them up and re-use them.

The rear boots are more pliable when new and are much less expensive if you do need to replace them.

BTW if you do remove the cam shafts to access the valve buckets, borrow a 1/4" drive torque wrench (inch pounds) when tightening the cam cover bolts, too many are broken or over tightened on the bikes I've worked on.
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I have got a few torque wrenches so that is never a problem. I will remove the carbs and see how they are.
                I did find that the idle speed went up when warm but the bike hadn't been used for a year or so. I have put some Wynns in the petroltank which might improve things a bit but if I take the carbs off I might as well give them a good clean. When I sdprayed some WD40 around the manifolds the revs didn't change at all and I know that normally the WD40 burns really quickly.

Comment

Today cams and tensioner removed . As it was getting dark the bucket will have to come out in the morning.

Comment

No worries just send me a PM

Comment

Hi Paul
                      I was lucky when I went to get a shim that the dealer had an old bucket lying on the shelf which I could have for a few euro's.
                      The old one was very tight to remove but in the end it came out. I expected big problems getting the other one to move freely but it dropped down easily and not sticking at all.

Comment

The problem with the old bucket was that it wasn't round and that was the reason why it was sticking. No grooves at all

Comment

Working...
                        X