No announcement yet.

Gs 750t wont start?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rust or corrosion or whatever was holding the engine stuck isn't really a big deal, and won't be what is keeping it from starting.

Sounds like a timing issue as tom has stated.

Keep at it though, go through the list of newbie mistakes and basscliffs list of things you need to do to your bike for a happy safe reliable GS.

It cost me around $1000 after i got my bike to go through that list, but since then I've gone through a couple sets of tires and crossed several provinces and it has been more reliable than even my riding buddy's brand new bike!

And just wait until you wind out that bike, it's going to be faster and more thrilling than you think it will be, I promise you that!

Gotta nail down that list first, tires, electrical, brakes, chain and sprockets, suspension etc. or winding it out won't be safe at all.

Comment

ok well i think i have it back together right but im going to open it up again and take another look and throw it on the other way just to be sure tomarrow and throw the air box on i dont actually have an filter for it but i have everything else i think and at least i will be able to seal the airbox. it just seems to be turning over a bit slow even when jumped with another battery but yeah engine feels smooth when i wrench it over almost tempted to do something silly like try to bump start it lol if the timing is good something is telling me its just not turning over fast enough...im hoping a new starter will fix that...

Comment

ill take a picture of the side cover so you guys can see what im talking about the sleave has two notches that fit into the spring loaded pins you can put it in two different ways making t the square paddle like thing on the sleeve point up or down just wonder what way it should be or if it matters since it still spins the same

Comment

Not turning over fast enough would be because of low voltage to the starter, either by a dying battery, or more likely in your case bad connections between the battery and the starter.

You should check your grounds and voltage drops using a multi meter, not only for the starter but you will need full voltage going to the coils as well, to get this beast started.

It's all on Basecliffs list. My bike ran and I rode it for a bit and thought it was great, but after I did all the stuff on that list it ran ten times better, started better, lights were brighter, it was just overall a much better bike.

This is the list I followed.

1) Seal the airbox and air filter with weatherstripping.

2) Ensure no intake leaks. Spraying WD-40 or water doesn't tell you much, since very small air leaks can cause problems even though they won't suck in enough WD-40 to make a difference. Replace your intake boot o-rings and boots if needed, and seriously consider spending the lousy $28 for new airbox/carb boots.

3) Ensure clean carbs with correct settings, new o-rings, and original OEM jets. No, not just squirted with something. I mean completely disassembled.

4) Check/adjust valve clearances (Manual calls for every 4,000 miles. This is not optional.)

5) Ensure healthy electrical system.

6) Seriously consider upgrading coils and plug wires.

7) Install new, stock NGK B8-ES plugs gapped to .031".

8 ) Fine-tune float height and idle mixture screw to ensure best off-idle transition.

9) Clean air filter and reinstall with only the lightest oil mist -- over-oiling and/or letting the filter get dirty is a common and critical mistake, and will make the bike run funny at low speeds and run rich. This may take a few tries.

10) Make sure the exhaust seals are sealing.

11) Ooh, much better now, huh? You're gonna need upgraded suspension - Progressive or better fork springs and shocks. Set suspension sag appropriately.

12) Upgrade brakes with new pads and stainless lines to deal with all that extra speed.

13) Install new petcock, since I'm going to head to the roof with a rifle if I have to read about yet another #2 plug fouling and failed hillbilly attempts to rebuild the petcock and/or deny there's a problem.

14) Oh yeah -- check compression somewhere in there to ensure the valves and rings are reasonably healthy.

15) You'll probably need new OEM clutch springs -- the clutches last forever, but the springs get tired after 20 years or so under pressure. E-Z and cheap.

Only ones I didn't do on my first 750T are 6 and 15, and I've got weak spark and once in awhile, slipping clutch issues which just go to show, I shouldn't have skipped those steps, but you still can if need be.

Comment

how does one go about checking the valves on a gs750t? better yet who wants to help me find the manual? :P

Comment

yeah i was wondering about that kinda stuff too now that you mention it there was quit a bit of corrrosion on the coil wires

Comment

You should post a thread in the GS owners forum, now that you are one of us!

Then basscliff (japanese word for "god of suzuki GS knowledge") would give you a welcome message with more links than you could read through in a week.

The link for your GS750T owners manual.
                The link for the 16 valve service manual that applies to your bike.
                The link for your bikes wiring diagram.

And of course, your Mega Welcome!

Let me lay this on you. A lot of your GS questions should be answered in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks alot. will do!

Comment

ill post some pictures of her in the owners forum tomorrow! thanks again!

Comment

sooo..got the carbs and airbox back on and cleaned up the conections between battery and starter and i think i may have sorted the timing issue... didnt realize the part with two springs can pop off if the sleave is pulled off so it may of moved off the round pin on the crank shaft annd i may of had the sleave on upside down.so!...if you spin the engine to i think top dead center or the mark in the hole that says /T..should the paddle/trigger thing on the sleave be pointing down to the right? sorry pictures comming soon i think they are too big when i tried to upload from my phone:P but its did sound better when it was turning over and even sounded like it was gunna do something a few times couple farts annnnnnnd the battery died. letting batterys charge for the night fingers crossed for tomarrow!

Comment

Working...
                      X