Unable to separate fork!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to separate fork!

I cannot for the life of me get one of my forks apart!

Took off forks cap, removed springs, drained oil, removed dust cap, removed circlip, removed fork bolt, removed damper rod.

Tried repeatedly to separate leg from stanchion to no avail. Even tried standing on the axle with both feet as I pulled up - the seal wont budge. I noticed that the oil seal is installed upside down but would this cause the seizure?

Im out of options.

Its an '80 750L.

Comment

wrap it in rags or use a piece of wood on each side and lock it in a vice very tightly. Grab the lower and jack it like you would a slide hammer..it will come apart. be sure to remove the retainer clip at the top of the seal....sits in a groove to retain the seals and spacers.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        wrap it in rags or use a piece of wood on each side and lock it in a vice very tightly. Grab the lower and jack it like you would a slide hammer..it will come apart. be sure to remove the retainer clip at the top of the seal....sits in a groove to retain the seals and spacers.
        +1

If you have a vice with soft jaws (aluminium) you can lock the caliper mounts in the vice and slide the stanchion back and forth. Sometimes they are tough, but it will come out.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

The problem is that Im working inside my apartment and the vice is fairly light and mounted to a rather thin table.

Is there any way to jack these apart? I tried using a bottle jack to jack the lip of the stanchion but the leg just kept sliding against the wood I had in the vice.

Also after all this sliding back and forth I can feel slight scraping when I top out the fork leg.

Comment

What about the retainer clip and washer thats right on top of the seals??? You never mentioned that yet. IF you have everything out ( and you did mention the bolt from the bottom was out ) then it shouldnt take Herculean force..just a few good quick slaps.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Don't need the vice, just hold one end in one hand, the other in the other hand, slam the two pieces apart. Asuming you have the retainer out as Chuck says.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The retainers been out since day 1. I've been slamming these 2 against each other repeatedly and the fork seal has not moved a millimeter above the retainer groove.

The other fork was a piece of cake and came out like any other I've done.

Comment

There's nothing holding it in apart from the seal. You probably need to get the lower into a solid vice so you can get the right amount of force into sliding the stanchion.

Be patient.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

lots of air pressure !!!!

Comment

OK then...,the rubber has sealed itself to the lower and its stuck.heat it up with a torch or above the stove burner till its pretty warm to the touch but not so hot it starts to discolor the metal...should pop right off. The heat will soften the seals rubber and release it.

Comment

Burn the seal out with a propane torch and it will come right apart.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On really stubborn ones I put the tube back in the triple clamp and then do the side hammer bit with the lower. You get a lot more force that way compared to just having them in your hands.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I've the triples off the bike but I will give it another shot with some heat and my vice.

Comment

It's done!

The recipe: plenty of heat, triple tree stopper, a vice, and some brutal force.

Comment

Working...
                              X