No announcement yet.

Unable to separate fork!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you still hgave the seals and clip in the bottoms? my bad thought I saw a clip in there.
    Last edited by yank; 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM.
    81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Yep, good eye, the circlip is still there. Never seen anyone force it past the clip before.

No wonder it was stuck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I wonder if he left the clip in the other one.....

I hope it was just this one that he forgot to remove it and the other one he actually removed it....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          I wonder if he left the clip in the other one.....

I hope it was just this one that he forgot to remove it and the other one he actually removed it....

Hey "he's" right here.

There is no circlip. Its a retainer clip holding the seal which was removed. What you are seeing is the top of a burnt oil seal. The two little holes are a coincidence. The bent 'circlip' that came out is the washer that sits between the bushing and oil seal.

I thought you guys are supposed to know something about fork anatomy.

Comment

it looked a lot like part number 8

Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oblique View Post

I thought you guys are supposed to know something about fork anatomy.
              Nah, it's a 750L. All I ever do with Ls is part them out, make planter boxes or Hallween decorations.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Nah, it's a 750L. All I ever do with Ls is part them out, make planter boxes or Hallween decorations.
                Or boat anchors.
                81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Yup I see #8 as well in the lower fork leg. Don't see anything like it in his scrap pile after he got everything out.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    Yup I see #8 as well in the lower fork leg. Don't see anything like it in his scrap pile after he got everything out.
                    geez louise guys!! open your feakin' eyes! that's the seal ... not #8. notice how you wouldn't be able to squeeze together your ghost circlip! notice the similar looking holes in the seal sitting by itself! you think Superman stopped by to assist yanking all the hardware past #8 ??
                    and some of you are out riding on public roads!!
                    opticians maybe? juuuuz sayin'

Comment

Here are the 'circlips', geniuses.

Back to the topic; what caused this and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        If I didn't know how a fork goes together I'd just be parting bikes out too.

Comment

Grease the seal and it won't happen again.
                          More than likely water got in there and caused oxidation.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Or some idiot owned it.

Comment

How much fork oil do you put back in ? 7.7 us OZ ??

Comment

Originally posted by oblique View Post
                                If I didn't know how a fork goes together I'd just be parting bikes out too.
                                Please remember who was the one who couldn't take a simple fork apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X