850GS Starter cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850GS Starter cover.

Just a small note to the other GS850 owners, there must be an easier way to change a damaged starter motor cover.
    There's no room for fat fingers to get to inside 5mm bolt, I had to use a allen key rachet tool to reach inside and tighten the screw/bolt.
    But guess what, the negative starter terminal is in the wrong alignment, this causes the cover to sit on the insulated terminal and won't go all the way down. Leaving a clear 8mm gap all the way around.
    This may mean taking the starter motor out and realigning the terminals to the correct position.
    Oh, The joys of home mechanics!

I hope you meant " the positive starter terminal is in the wrong alignment" !

yes, the terminal is slightly off- is it a rebuilt unit?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The terminal has a black rubber isolator boot on it, so one presumes it's the negative.

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
        The terminal has a black rubber isolator boot on it, so one presumes it's the negative.
        And one would presume INCORRECTLY.

The starter is earthed to the crankcase ("earth" is the negative side).

The large black wire that goes to the starter comes from the starter solenoid, which is fed by the POSITIVE side of the battery.

The boot is there to keep the POSITIVE terminal from shorting out on the EARTHED cover.

Last edited by Steve; 04-09-2014, 06:59 AM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No sir, the rubber boot will be there to prevent the positive terminal touching / grounding to metal work, or at least it should be.

Comment

You don't need to remove the starter to fix this. As noted above, the terminal is for the POSITIVE connection and really needs to have the rubber boot in place. Loosen it a bit and rotate, then carefully re-tighten (just snug -- don't crack the plastic insulation around the terminal). Ground is through the case.

If you've had the starter out, you will want to watch for an oil leak emerging from the Mystery Hole. If you didn't replace the old hardened o-ring around the nose of the starter, it's quite likely to start leaking.
            Last edited by bwringer; 04-09-2014, 09:32 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Looks like it might be the wrong cover for an 850. The different models have different covers.

Not sure.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Looks like it might be the wrong cover for an 850. The different models have different covers.

Not sure.
                Tkent 02, it was quoted as the right cover by the Suzuki dealer, but even with the "black non- positive" rubber boot on it it won't clear. So as originally stated it seems that the starter has been moved/ modified by the previous owner.
                And this needs to be rotated around to clear it. A small job but annoying.
                And one has done electrical work on bikes, cars, boats before. Usually the positive terminals have a red rubber boot over to signify a power cable underneath.

Comment

Please listen to the information being passed to you. That wire goes to the starter solenoid that is fed by the positive side of the battery.

How would you mean the starter post is not aligned properly? Can you take a picture of the starter itself?
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Whoa Partner.

Lets not blow this up into something big partner, it's a trivial matter of checking it out the problem and coming up with a favourable solution.
                    I checked out the starter schematics last night and yes, it does only have the one wire going to the casing terminal.
                    If I can rotate the starter 30 degrees it'll clear the cover, if not I'll have to research and find out out if there's an alternate cover, but as stated before it was suppose to be the right one, and I'm pretty confident the seller at the Suzuki dealer I go to knows his GS's.
                    And as the writer of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle repair once said "“Logic presumes a separation of subject from object; therefore logic is not final wisdom.This is Zen. This is my motorcycle maintenance.",

And one shouldn't presume because my tag says "Junior Member" that I'm 16 and still wet behind the ears, I'm in my mid 50's and have an Engineering Diploma.
                    But thanks for your kind words, and encouragement.

Comment

Most likely someone previous used a different starter, so the connection is in a different place. Check the part number on the starter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
                        And one shouldn't presume because my tag says "Junior Member" that I'm 16 and still wet behind the ears, I'm in my mid 50's and have an Engineering Diploma.
                        But thanks for your kind words, and encouragement.
                        No one presumed anything about your knowledge but whatever.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The terminal on the starter should be pointing toward the back edge of the cavity in which the starter lives. Although you have not said in so many words, I get the impression that it is pointing a bit more upright.

Remove the starter. Loosen the two bolts that run down the length of the starter. Rotate the starter case to align the terminal, you may see some 'witness marks' at the seams to assist you. Tighten the two bolts you loosened, re-install the starter, install the cover, GO FOR A RIDE.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Starter fix.

Yeap steve all good, going to attack it tonight.
                            I also have to try and find the brake cable brackets for the front wheel which keep the cables off the guard. If not I know of a spring maker here in Perth that can whip them up out of stainless.
                            I also ordered another pair of side covers, as these old ones are starting to get fine cracks in them again, they were repaired and repainted but age seemed to catch up on them.
                            I'm seriously happy that you can get most parts for these GS's, unlike the BSA I have were I had to scrounge beg and make some hard to find bits.

Happy trails and stay upright!

Comment

What year is your GS850G, new side covers looked a few times on a parts company but they show as no longer available for my 86 GS850 when these guys state no longer available, my main dealer normally echo the same, do you have a link to where you got hold of them, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X