No announcement yet.

Warm weather commuting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=mrbill5491;20 I can tolerate 100-105, higher then that I look for a place to wait and let it cool down in the evening.[/QUOTE]

I got that, some of the most beautiful rides I have had here have been in the early pre dawn hours during the summer. Out in the open desert at three am with a full moon, probably high 80's - low 90's waiting fur first light on an open highway, don't get any better than that.....

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      Guess you haven't ridden in the southwest heat have ya. I've been riding in this heat now 34 years now. When it starts hitting the 105 degree mark, ain't gonna do it. Made the mistake of riding one day without checking for that days temps for the late afternoon. 118 degrees that day. I hit that temp right at its peak for the day say 3:30pm A 56 mile ride from Alamogordo through the White Sands Missile range to home turned into torture. No trees, no shade, no where to hide. Ask GSXRED he has been through twice now, though not with the heat yet lol.

Now that I'm pushing 60, not able to handle summer heat like I used too. I can tolerate 100-105, higher then that I look for a place to wait and let it cool down in the evening. When I was younger and dumber and still full of c...um never mind, heat? what heat? heat don't brother me any! What I mean by younger I was 29 when I started riding lol.
      I'm pushing 60 also! This will be my first summer in 25 years on two wheels. Back in the '80's, when I was invincible, I'd come home from Wall Street and hop on my '73 Z1 with sneakers, a miniscule shirt, sometimes tiny shorts, and cruise at 75 on the highway.

Of course it rarely gets into triple digits here in NYC, but the reasons my Concours friend (who was also my riding buddy 'back in the day', we've known each other since birth) doesn't ride on hot days are his fairing, his radiator, and his clothes. Which brings me to my approaching conundrum.

No radiator or fairing on my '82 1100e, but what about clothes? The one time I've ridden recently in shorts and sneakers, I burned my leg on the exhaust (1-minute trip to the gas station).
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

ATGATT!

All it takes is once without to make you a believer. Even here in the desert it actually acts like an insulator against the heat, your gonna sweat but you were gonna do that anyway.

This is what I wear. 400 bucks total but a s**t ton cheaper than possible damage to your body otherwise.

The Revit Airwave 3 Jacket is purpose built to overcome hot weather while keeping you protected from abrasion and impacts. PWR|mesh panels at the fron…

The Rev'it! Airwave 3 Pants are made out of PWR|shell mesh panels reinforced by heavy duty textile. CE rated SEESMART armor protects the knees and hip…

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
          ATGATT!

All it takes is once without to make you a believer. Even here in the desert it actually acts like an insulator against the heat, your gonna sweat but you were gonna do that anyway.

This is what I wear. 400 bucks total but a s**t ton cheaper than possible damage to your body otherwise.

The Revit Airwave 3 Jacket is purpose built to overcome hot weather while keeping you protected from abrasion and impacts. PWR|mesh panels at the fron…

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-pants
          Yup, I wear my boots, heavy jeans(at least), jacket (or heavy demin long sleeve shirt), gloves and my full face helmet. I really need to get myself a good warm weather jacket. I feel a bit naked with the shirt at times lol.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X