Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G - Truing Brake Rotors? Or Replacement??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G - Truing Brake Rotors? Or Replacement??

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to put new rubber on my GS850G, and figured that I'd replace the rear wheel bearings, as well as the Head Steering Bearings, upgrade the brake lines, and rebuild the brake calipers.

Found pretty much everything I need to know on the site, as you'd expect, but do have one question regarding brake rotors.

Are the rotors on these bikes something we need to have "turned", or are they a one and done, replace them when doing the brakes, kind of situation?

My rotors appear to be true and aren't grooved or anything. They do show slight signs of "normal" use and heat, but don't appear to have any heat spots, etc.

Just wondering how much I need to order to get all the parts in one place when I order the caliper rebuild parts and brake lines.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    H
    My rotors appear to be true and aren't grooved or anything. They do show slight signs of "normal" use and heat, but don't appear to have any heat spots, etc.
    If the brakes are not pulsating just run them. If they are, or if you want better looking ones I have a nice set of discs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to put new rubber on my GS850G, and figured that I'd replace the rear wheel bearings, as well as the Head Steering Bearings, upgrade the brake lines, and rebuild the brake calipers.

Found pretty much everything I need to know on the site, as you'd expect, but do have one question regarding brake rotors.

Are the rotors on these bikes something we need to have "turned", or are they a one and done, replace them when doing the brakes, kind of situation?

Just wondering how much I need to order to get all the parts in one place when I order the caliper rebuild parts and brake lines.

Thanks,
      Worn rotor disc's can cause vibration and uneven wear in the pads, I'd take them all off and show them to a brake shop.
      I went the whole hog and got new rotors, pads, Aftermarket S/S lines, new mounting bolts, and because there was some corrosion in one of the callipers I ended up with a new right hand calliper.
      When you see a car pull out in front of you, you need to know those brakes are going to be 100%.
      Don't forget to check the condition of the reservoir cups as well, my front one was beyond saving.

Comment

my rear rotor is toast. peeked at the brake pads and realized the PO was riding with almost no pads left. rotor is grooved and fails the fingernail test. gonna pick up a new set of pads and another rotor used.

Comment

i'm in a similar situation. probably will grab one off of ebay or from someone here.

Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
            i'm in a similar situation. probably will grab one off of ebay or from someone here.
            If you need front rotors, I have a set.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
              If you need front rotors, I have a set.
              I offered a set as well, apparently he'd rather pay Ebay prices.

Comment

she'd rather not pay ebay prices. i said that in case this gentleman wanted to buy the ones you mentioned.

i *think* i just need the rear. i'll check the front tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I was referring to Growler - local to me.

Comment

There's a lot of discs are replaced because they're a bit scored. A bit of light scoring is nothing - what matters is how thick they are and every manual should have the minimum thickness allowable. Also, new pads bed into the light scoring that most old rotors have and you get even better braking.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      There's a lot of discs are replaced because they're a bit scored. A bit of light scoring is nothing - what matters is how thick they are and every manual should have the minimum thickness allowable. Also, new pads bed into the light scoring that most old rotors have and you get even better braking.
                      Minimum thickness is stamped right into the hub of the rotor

Comment

GS rotors are not thick enough to have them turned. Run them until they warp or get thin enough to see through...

You may want to clean them up just a bit with a Scotchbrite pad before installing, but that's about it.

Grooving doesn't matter much, either, other than it may take a bit longer to bed in new pads. They all end up looking grooved after a while, and it's really no big deal.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'll be looking into this myself, soon enough. I have some pulsing in the front brakes and the rear is fried. Can anything other than warped rotors cause a pulsing sensation?

Comment

Yes .

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Haha... no. Not the case at all. I needed the rear rotor. Still need one, it turns out. If anyone has a nice REAR rotor for a 1980 GS850G, please contact me.

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X