Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center stand & spring question

Hi everyone

I received my shiny new bolts sleeves and pins, managed to screw on the centerstand and at the last part went to install the spring...its appears to be evil, very tough, and gives the impression of holding enough force to be murderous or at least to cause serious injury.

I tried to install the spring by hand, then with pliers, then using a long screwdriver as a lever. it doesnt want to go that last 2 inches.

is there a trick to it ? (other than "hey you lazy slob, go to the gym ")

thanks

sean

You could try fixing the spring first then pull the stand into position use a screwdriver in place of one of the bolts while you put the other in.
    Or a welding rod as a grip hooked round the spring, using plier and screwdrivers will just scratch stuff up as they inevitably slip.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Stick a bunch of nickels in the coils
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
        What he said. Works every time. Or use a lesser coinage if you want to cheap out.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Put the spring on first, take an alignment punch or a thick long bladed phillips screw driver, align one of the mounts then go over too the other side and bring it up and slip your bolt in, once its in and tightened down some the other side is pretty much aligned already. Barely any fighting with the spring. I've got it down I don't even need an alignment tool any more. Do it a couple times and you'll see what I mean.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
            I usually use dimes, but this is the GS Resources and people here tend to be frugal. You can uses pennies if you're extra frugal.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              I usually use dimes, but this is the GS Resources and people here tend to be frugal. You can uses pennies if you're extra frugal.
              Not in Canada you can't, we got rid of the penny......

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Put the spring on first, take an alignment punch or a thick long bladed phillips screw driver, align one of the mounts then go over too the other side and bring it up and slip your bolt in, once its in and tightened down some the other side is pretty much aligned already. Barely any fighting with the spring. I've got it down I don't even need an alignment tool any more. Do it a couple times and you'll see what I mean.
                And that is the right way to do it. Thanks for the best advice on this. It took me 5 minutes to remove the stand and the springs without a struggle this time

Comment

I put vise grips on the spring leg, then leverage on that. No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                    I put vise grips on the spring leg, then leverage on that. No big deal.
                    But that lever is touching somewhere is my guess and will take your paint off.. I have two springs on my sidestand and they aren't of the weak sort and have to be pulled and twisted to get them out. So I was happy with the easy way of doing the job

Comment

OK I tried to install the spring a lot more times:

Removed the center stand, hooked on spring then could not pull the stand back to position. Used screwdriver as lever, started to bend screwdriver.

reinstalled the center stand.
                      tried to use a pry bar and zip tie to stretch to the "hook" on the center stand.
                      Zip tie exploded.

used cloth neck lanyard to stretch out spring, goes past end of hook but will not drop "down" to hook in.
                      Oldest stepson connected chain to spring to "pull" to help, started to drag bike backwards.

anyone have any other ideas ?

Thanks

sean

Comment

I have just done this.I moved the stand stop out of the way,put a cloth on the chain then pushed the stand further up, the spring went on without stretching it.

Comment

I'm not sure if I follow what you mean.
                          If my center stand is in the bolt holes then the spring would be stretched at any time it is connected to both bike frame and center stand.

Originally posted by tomahawk View Post
                          I have just done this.I moved the stand stop out of the way,put a cloth on the chain then pushed the stand further up, the spring went on without stretching it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
                            OK I tried to install the spring a lot more times:

Removed the center stand, hooked on spring then could not pull the stand back to position. Used screwdriver as lever, started to bend screwdriver.
                            Well, you got the right start on it, the bolt holes in the stand and the frame well be a bit off center once you attach the spring. There well be a bit of pressure though manageable. First make sure the inside spacers are installed on both sides of the swing arm, then bring the swing arm up to the swing arm mounts on the frame, take a good screw driver or an alignment punch and align one side of the swing arm, the other side should be close to fitting in, just gotta maneuver it just a bit to start the bolt. Once in hand tighten the bolt then move over to the other side and do the same with that one, tighten your bolts and install the cotter pins at the ends. Not sure what you're doing. Takes me about 5 minutes to do it.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I'm wondering if I received the right spring.

The center stand is not original to the bike. (The PO appears to have chopped off the original center stand with a sawsall)

The spring came with the centerstand (purchased from ebay, supposedly taken off a '79 gs750.)

I have also tried jamming change (nickels, quarters, pennies) in the coils to stretch out the spring, this also did not allow the 2 ends to meet.

sean

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                              Well, you got the right start on it, the bolt holes in the stand and the frame well be a bit off center once you attach the spring. There well be a bit of pressure though manageable. First make sure the inside spacers are installed on both sides of the swing arm, then bring the swing arm up to the swing arm mounts on the frame, take a good screw driver or an alignment punch and align one side of the swing arm, the other side should be close to fitting in, just gotta maneuver it just a bit to start the bolt. Once in hand tighten the bolt then move over to the other side and do the same with that one, tighten your bolts and install the cotter pins at the ends. Not sure what you're doing. Takes me about 5 minutes to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X