I need ideas for rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need ideas for rear shocks

I am looking to replace the old worn out shocks on the back of my 82 GS1100G but I have a couple of concerns. I am a 6'2" 280 lbs guy and the none original, stock style shocks are either worn out or just not able to handle me and the bikes weight all that well. I am looking for a stiffer/heavier duty suspension. I am assuming I am not the only tall/fat guy on a gs so any ideas out there.

We mostly all buy modern shocks with an appropriate spring rate. Same with the forks.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bwinger is a big guy that rides hard. He has honed in on a winning suspension formula so you may want to PM him for advice.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by adam View Post
        I am looking to replace the old worn out shocks on the back of my 82 GS1100G but I have a couple of concerns. I am a 6'2" 280 lbs guy and the none original, stock style shocks are either worn out or just not able to handle me and the bikes weight all that well. I am looking for a stiffer/heavier duty suspension. I am assuming I am not the only tall/fat guy on a gs so any ideas out there.
        You need to spend enough on your shocks that you get to the performance/quality range where you can choose spring rates. There is no problem accommodating your weight, you just have to order the correct spring rates to suit. I know you can choose rates with Ikon, Works Performance and the higher end stuff beyond them, not sure of any others. I expect Hagon offers alternate rates as well.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have Hagon 2810's and think there great.

Comment

I'm in the same ballpark as far as gravitational attraction (see photographic evidence below), so I'll share what works for me.

There are many approaches, but what works for me and my GS850G (the GS850G is actually slightly heavier than the 1100G) is Sonic straight-rate springs in the forks (use the calculator, but you'll want the highest spring rate, which I think is 1.1kg/mm) with fresh 10 or 15 weight fork oil.

Out back, I'm using Progressive 12 series shocks. The trick for those of us who are gravitationally blessed is to buy stronger springs than Progressive recommends for a GS. So you'll need to order up a set of shock bodies and a set of springs separately.

You can get them a good bit cheaper elsewhere, but here's what you need on Progressive's web site:

Part number 12-1202B (black finish only)

For the springs, look up the standard-duty shock springs for a 1984 Kawasaki Voyager -- these are a higher rate (120/170) than the 105/150 springs they list as the "heavy duty" recommendation for the GS shafties:
            120/170 rate (they're a rising-rate spring that goes from 120 pounds/inch to 170)
            03-1365B in black
            03-1365C in chrome

With this setup, the preload adjuster is on the first or second step with just me, and on the fourth or fifth step with a passenger. Just about perfect.

Hagon shocks are another well-proven option -- you call up Dave Quinn, he asks a few questions, and he chooses shock bodies with the appropriate damping rate and the correct springs for your size, bike, and riding style.

Last edited by bwringer; 06-11-2014, 12:04 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hi Adam,
              I am pretty new at this so take my suggestion at your peril. I needed a cost-effective (cheap) remedy for my 80/81/82 GS850 G/GL et al. I got a hold of a mint condition pair of Harley air-adjustable shocks for only $50. I am told they are readily available because many HD owners exchange them for chrome shocks.

I had to grind the knuckles to make them narrower; at least one knuckle needed to be slightly asymmetric to fit properly...I just mimicked my original shocks. I also needed to re-use the metal inserts from my old ones in order to fit the GS studs. To complete the fit, I removed the HD rubber mounts and replaced them with rubber mounts I made from my supply of heavy-duty laboratory stoppers. Perhaps you have a source for proper mounting grommets. I am only 160 lbs but even with a rider, I have not even needed to add air to get a noticeably better ride. A more "generous" rider may benefit from air-adj. Over 2000 miles later they look intact and serve me well. Sorry, I don't know how to send you a photo.

Comment

Call this guy:

This website is for sale! davequinnmotorcycles.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, davequinnmotorcycles.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

He has been a Hagon distributor in the US for over 25 years. He will set up your shocks with the appropriate springs for no extra charge.
                Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
                René Descartes

Comment

He's all helpful befiore the sale, if you want a different spring rate after the sale you get no where from him. No more dealing with this guy. Joe Whelen sells them, as does Z1.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                    Call this guy:

This website is for sale! davequinnmotorcycles.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, davequinnmotorcycles.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

He has been a Hagon distributor in the US for over 25 years. He will set up your shocks with the appropriate springs for no extra charge.
                    I second this. I picked mine out for under $200 from him and he helped me choose the correct setup for my future riding plans. Promptly returned emails about a squeak I couldn't track down after the sale, too.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    He's all helpful befiore the sale, if you want a different spring rate after the sale you get no where from him. No more dealing with this guy. Joe Whelen sells them, as does Z1.

Didn't need a different spring rate as the original recommendation I received was perfect. My [recent] positive experience.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      I forgot that Z1 sells Progressive and Hagon. I would DEFINITELY order from Z1.

Just list all the Progressive Suspension products, and you'll find what you need. Same with Hagon.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just to throw another option into the mix. I got YSS shocks for my gike and I'm very happy with them. They suit my somewhat large 115kg.

Cheers,
                        Muz

PS. Have a look on the YSS Aus website for fitment and spring options. I'm not sure where you get them in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkK View Post
                          Hi Adam,
                          I am pretty new at this so take my suggestion at your peril. I needed a cost-effective (cheap) remedy for my 80/81/82 GS850 G/GL et al. I got a hold of a mint condition pair of Harley air-adjustable shocks for only $50. I am told they are readily available because many HD owners exchange them for chrome shocks.

I had to grind the knuckles to make them narrower; at least one knuckle needed to be slightly asymmetric to fit properly...I just mimicked my original shocks. I also needed to re-use the metal inserts from my old ones in order to fit the GS studs. To complete the fit, I removed the HD rubber mounts and replaced them with rubber mounts I made from my supply of heavy-duty laboratory stoppers. Perhaps you have a source for proper mounting grommets. I am only 160 lbs but even with a rider, I have not even needed to add air to get a noticeably better ride. A more "generous" rider may benefit from air-adj. Over 2000 miles later they look intact and serve me well. Sorry, I don't know how to send you a photo.
                          I did pretty much the same as you, 20 years ago. The similarity is the GT750 Kwack of the day used Showa air shocks, which are what are fitted to the Harleys now, and for a while past. So, with a pair of Showa/Kwack/Harley shocks on my GS850, I was sorted out properly.
                          Until about a years ago, I hit an enormous pothole and blew the oil seals out of both of them. Luckily, they can be re-built, if you dig around google for Showa shock rebuilding.
                          Here's a sample thread...

I think I'll just get away with new seals from the local bearing/seal stockist and not bother with re-valving them as they worked fine and I was happy enough with them.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                          X