Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock upper mount thread damaged

Hi gang,

On the 80GS110E the rear shock upper mount "BOLT" threads are damaged just after the first few threads so I cannot start a nut on it.

I looked at the fiche: It looks like these don't come off so I guess i should buy a die to chase the threads? Sounds logicial but I don't have the tools and never done it. But i did watch a video on youtube!
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A problem is I have a rack and there is not a lot of meat left for the nut. I guess I could take out the spacers

What are my options?

Thanks!
    -Bob

I'd try cleaning up the threads with a thread file first. You may have problems getting a die started, since the most damaged threads are always on the outside.

Only $10.19 plus a buck or three for shipping:
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

If all else fails, yes, you can cut off and then drill out the remains of the old stud and install a shoulder bolt.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      I'd try cleaning up the threads with a thread file first. You may have problems getting a die started, since the most damaged threads are always on the outside.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

If all else fails, yes, you can cut off and then drill out the remains of the old stud and install a shoulder bolt.
      OK thank you. I will try this

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Hi,
        Tool showed up today. Got instructions from YouTube. I swear I was doing it wrong. But it worked somehow! Thank you so very, very much!

For sure owe you a brew.
        Truly,

Bob

Comment

These are the threads I like where there is a suggestion made to remedy a problem and the OP follows said suggestion and reports back with success. Enjoy the ride Littleroot.

Comment

Working...
          X