JIS screwdrivers and new fasteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JIS screwdrivers and new fasteners

So I've been thinking that I need JIS screwdrivers to deal with these pesky screws. I was looking at Hozan (#00,#0,#1,#2) 4 set on Amazon for $25. Should I get these or just mod a couple old phillips? And what can I do to replace these screws with allen head ones, can I just get new screws/fasteners from Lowe's or do I need to order them special online? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this.

Just replace with the same thread size and pitch. I use socket head cap screws where clearance is not an issue and button heads on things like fairings if needed.

Comment

I took a #3 Philips and touched it on the grinder. seems to work fine on the larger ones even in the impact driver!

Comment

For Allen head replacements, check out Z1 enterprises. They sell entire sets of polished stainless Allen head bolts for engine cases/covers and also individually, by size. Whenever I'm going to do any work on the bike that involves removing original screws, I just order the replacement Allen screws ahead of time. The bolt sizes are usually contained within the Suzuki OEM part number. I haven't had any wrong ones yet.

Comment

Vessel has good JIS screwdrivers.
          Their Megadora screwdrivers are a good choice.
          The Megadora Impacta adds some impact driver capability.
          They also have impact drivers.
          Are available via eBay & Amazon.
          http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tool...-products.html

McMaster-Carr has a good selection of JIS screws at good prices.
          http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=skqou5

Rimfire has engine screw kits for a few Suzuki models.
          http://www.rimfire-eng.com/Suzuki_Model_Selection.htm

Comment

I think I'll use a dremel tool to grind down some of the point on a #2 or #3 Phillips to use as the JIS stuff is expensive, and I want to replace the bolts with allen/hex head screws anyways. A lot of the screws are old and barely working from PO using a Phillips on all the work from what I can tell. The screw head on my front master cylinder that keeps the lid on is basically destroyed, so I need to order a whole new assembly for that. The glass is cracked anyways, so it needed to be done. Haven't gotten to the engine screws yet, but I hope they come out so I can replace them. I'll just make sure to use anti-seize as well.

Comment

I've been perfectly happy with my home-made pseudo-JIS bit that I made by grinding 1mm off a #2 phillips bit. I'm sure the JIS drivers are technically better, and I would definitely get them if I ran a motorcycle repair shop and would use them every day. (But I don't, so I won't.)

Using a dremel to grind down the tip might be tricky. I would advise the (gentle) use of a bench grinder or a file.

Look for a local mom-and-pop hardware store with a large fastener collection in the back. Lowes and Home Depot sell fasteners, yes, but rarely have a decent selection.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I guess I could always get fasteners from somewhere online... But I'm impatient most of the time, so I tend to go local.

Comment

Big Box Stores Suck

bLowe's, Meanards, and Home Despot won't have anything you need, but most REAL hardware stores like Ace or Do It Best will have a pretty good selection of stainless metric socket head (allen) goodies.

You will pay a lot, though.

And you'll likely have to fend off some doddering codger or pimply youth who wants to "help" by glancing at your 6mm bolt and directing you to the 1/4" bin... Work on your "leave me alone" glower before entering.

The kits are a great way to save a few bucks. And if you want to build up a collection of extras, you can order larger quantities from McMaster-Carr. Bolt Depot sells in any quantity if you don't.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Vessel are by far the best

Comment

Buy the JIS screwdriver set..
                      You may need them in the future for other work on a Japanese motorcycle and they are not very expensive - In my opinion they DO make a difference.

Ace Hardware near me has an excellent assortment of SS Metric fasteners in Socket Cap . or Button Cap Allen heads...some chrome too...
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                        Vessel are by far the best
                        +1 on that!

I just got myself an 8-piece set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers.

It's unbelievable how much better they fit and hold in a JIS screw compared to a Phillips head screwdriver. Night and day different.

And, NO, you can't really make a GOOD set of JIS screwdrivers by grinding down the tip of a Phillips head. It's not just the tip depth that's different, it's the angle of the cut of the sides and also the shape and cut of the grooves. Completely different.

If you want to read about it, here's a great link that explains it:

Wish I'd spent the money on a set sooner. I'd have saved myself a lot of stripped screws and volumes of resultant foul words.

Comment

And, NO, you can't really make a GOOD set of JIS screwdrivers by grinding down the tip of a Phillips head. It's not just the tip depth that's different, it's the angle of the cut of the sides and also the shape and cut of the grooves. Completely different.
                          Yes, you can make a decent set because I've done it. I haven't stripped or cammed out a single JIS screw with my home-made bits since I made them over a year ago.

Yes, I have no doubt the actual JIS drivers are technically better to use.

But for the guy who wrenches on one or two bikes very occasionally (and hopefully replaces the soft OEM screws with decent allen-head fasteners when possible), the home-made bits can be serviceable.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

That there aren't more utterly knackered JIS screws on this side of the pond is due to the existence of the Pozidriver, which, while not a great fit in JIS, is close enough and better than Philips. Before Pozidrive was commonplace and used by those without a clue as it was simply a crosshead, therefore it must fit, mangled and stripped Japanese screwheads were perfectly normal things to see, because everybody attacked them with Philips.
                            Last edited by Grimly; 07-18-2014, 08:08 PM.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Screws

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                              So I've been thinking that I need JIS screwdrivers to deal with these pesky screws. I was looking at Hozan (#00,#0,#1,#2) 4 set on Amazon for $25. Should I get these or just mod a couple old phillips? And what can I do to replace these screws with allen head ones, can I just get new screws/fasteners from Lowe's or do I need to order them special online? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this.
                              You will need the JIS screwdrivers sometime get them and checkout Paul at www.rimfire-eng.com for replacement screws to use them on, they work great.
                              1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X