Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parts not listed on fiches...how do you identify them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts not listed on fiches...how do you identify them?

I've been thinking of replacing by building a couple of parts (oil lines, cylinder) on the 550es. Although not exclusive to this model, there are a number of parts that are no longer listed on any of the parts fiches. For example, Part #12 (union bolt) on this fiche:

I can reuse the union bolt, but the parts numbers have some good size information in them.

Is there an online source for the original parts numbers somewhere? Or am I going to hoof it to a dealership, where they might have the original microfiche on hand?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Here-http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3f6def8700230d8b4ca63/cylinder. #12.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Sweet. I never would have thought about partsoutlaw. That was very useful.

Thank you.

Now I'll have to delve into their fiches to see if that is the rule for them, or the exception.
      '83 GS650G

Comment

I have a list of about a dozen vendors in my "favorites". I have noticed that some of them will simply remove the part from the list when it becomes NLA (no longer available), while others will keep the part, but show "NLA" or "Discontinued". Of the ones that keep the listing for the discontinued part, some of them will show the last price it sold for, others will remove the price (or use that field to show the "NLA").

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes,

I have had the same experience, and I've noticed a few more vendors no longer list the parts like they used to. It does make investigating part compatibility between models more difficult.
          '83 GS650G

Comment

The fiches at alpha-sports.com show all parts and part numbers, and everything is listed by the original part number.

If a part number has been superceded, it will take you through each superceded part number, which is often handy -- some part numbers have been superceded more than once.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Really wish these guys didn't have such unholy prices.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              The fiches at alpha-sports.com show all parts and part numbers, and everything is listed by the original part number.

If a part number has been superceded, it will take you through each superceded part number, which is often handy -- some part numbers have been superceded more than once.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

I have used them to get part numbers, for several bikes, and it is handy to go there, then do a search for "obeselete" parts, across the net.

Their prices are rather diabolical, though

1979 GS1000

Comment

I'm surprised they can stay in business at their rates. Some things are close in price, but others are...almost exorbinant. I had always assumed it was another European website, and I had never bothered to order from them. I was surprised to find this as their address:

Limerick, Me. 04048

Formerly known as Pat's Cycles, and been around for 25 years.
                '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

What a great pointer...I've looked at their website in the past,but never paid much attention because of the pricing. That they use original part numbers is a HUGE plus in my books.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                  X