Where do you get your oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get your oil filter?

When I bought the first filter for my bike, I bought what I believed to be the right K&N filter off of amazon for around 10 bucks. But when I got it, the oil filter gasket was slightly too big to fit in the little slot that is on the filter cover.

Could someone tell me where I can get a filter and avoid this issue...and for the cheapest price of course

P.S. I feel silly for posting about such a simple thing, but I don't want to be stuck once I have the oil drained!

Genuine Suzuki every time. cant go wrong, even if it does cost a few more dollars......
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Filterking on Ebay currently offers the best filters at the best prices. They appear to be the same K & N or HiFlo units.
      They also come with BOTH types of O-rings.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Agree on the Suzuki filter. You need to order the O-ring separate though. Order half dozen at a time and maybe three O-rings. Cheaper than K&N to boot. As far as aftermarket filters go, Hiflo is a good brand.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OEM, from the dealer. Last one was less then $7! Of course the o-ring is not included, but it is still cheaper than a Fram even if you buy the OEM o-ring. I have a spare o-ring on hand, I inspect the used one and if it is still soft with no damage I reuse it.
          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

HI FLO ( Emgo brand I think) from any local cycle shop. $5.00 and change
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I order my K&Ns 4 at a time. The oring seal fits just fine. Oh yeah from Dennis Kirk.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Opps I double posted
                Last edited by stetracer; 08-24-2014, 08:39 PM.
                My stable
                84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

I use OEM Suzuki only and replace the o-ring as needed also. I buy 10 at a time and they give me a discount for buying so many. I think I paid $60 for 10 filters and 2 O-rings the last time I got some. The ones for my Bandits are spin on type and they have the o-ring in them much easier to change but they cost a little more.

I don't buy anything Emgo. I might be a miser but I am not stupid and Emgo's stuff is stupid no good junk IMO. Can you tell I don't like Emgo stuff?
                  My stable
                  84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                  85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                  88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                  98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                  90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                  06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                  00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

I believe you can get them through NAPA stores for those in the USA. And pretty sure they make all their own filters.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

When I'm near a Suzuki dealer or ordering OEM bits online, I'll lob a genuine filter in the order. Otherwise, I just go with what my GP dealer has in - usually HiFlo and not had any trouble with them. As far as lack of, or wrong type of, O-rings go; I've never had any problem re-using one with a smear of Hylomar on it.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts store near you, look in the powersports section, they carry a filter there.

I don't remember if it's a Fram or a K&N, but it fits well.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I keep a stock of the Suzuki o-rings -- they're the only ones that fit perfectly, every time. The o-ring can be re-used many times as long as it's not damaged or flattened.

As far as the filter, Napa/Wix or OEM. The Napa filters do come with an o-ring that usually fits.

HiFloFiltro are fine and cheap, and K&N are fine and expensive. Fram's quality is very suspect, so I don't use these.

On my V-Strom (spin-on filter) I use Napa filters as well. They're Wix filters, and excellent quality.

Another good source for Wix filters cheap is RockAuto -- order some for your cages as well.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                          X