stripped rear view mirror hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped rear view mirror hole

The rear mirrors on my new to me 850 are too short and I'm constantly having to move my elbows to see behind me.

So I thought I'd swap out the mirrors from GS1000 temporarily while I source another set (the 1000 is under repair).

Removed the left hand mirrors from the 850 and 1000 and tried screwing into the 850. It seems the top few threads in the 850 hole are stripped and I'm having trouble screwing in either the 850 or 1000 mirror now.

Any tips on this that can get it sorted easily?

Thanks

for the left side mirror....just find a good used clutch perch.
    this same item fit MANY GS model's.

Comment

You can get a lever/perch assy on ebay for about $10. I have one and it's fine. Make sure you get the right size mirror thread, 10mm I believe
      Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Or just get/borrow metric tap and clean up the threads in perch- top ones get buggered up. Look for mirrors off 80's Hondas- stick out nicely and no distortion.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks a buddy is dropping of a set of taps to me tonight.

Comment

Make sure you use the right tap -- it's a fine thread, 10mm X 1.25mm pitch.

As you mentioned, it's probably just the first few threads that are boogered up, so it should clean up easily with a bit of care.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Have not tried this yet but a friend says it worked for him. The threads were all buggered to the bottom, so he put some steel putty in, the stuff that comes with the hardener that you knead by hand, carefully re-bored the hole and then re-tapped it

Comment

Wow was that ever easy. Threaded the 10mm 1.25 pitch tap into the hole with my fingers, super easy. So much so I figured it didn't do anything. Then the mirror went in no problem.

New mirrors on order.

Comment

Working...
                X