Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    "lite options" are like putting band aids on shotgun wounds...
    That is like the one thing I keep tossing at some of the new guys:

"Every shortcut you take is just one more opportunity to do it over."

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      That is like the one thing I keep tossing at some of the new guys:

"Every shortcut you take is just one more opportunity to do it over."

Exactly, short cuts only work in the woods.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Walmart's in SA?

Flyboy can let you know what type of chemicals you can get in SA

Is it me, or does the carb boot in his pic look like it's melted?
        I see what you are seeing, Big T. It does look more than a little degraded.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I just did my 1981 850G carbs ...the fifth set of carbs i have done and my best so far. So a couple lessons for you -

All you need is the Orings from Cycle Orings, Mr Barr. Order the oring set, and separately on his site order the insulator orings which are resting against the cylinder heads, order the intake socket heads so you can replace the crap JIC phillips heads (also on his site) and order the new float bowl drain screw orings (also has to be added separately on his site).

If you are very careful, you can take easily reuse the float bowl gaskets. I have done 5 carb sets and never torn one. Just loosen the bowl carefully and if its sticking somewhere, insert a tiny screw driver head and peel it away.

Also, the needles/jets are sometimes a bit stuck...so get the closest fit small screwdriver possible, spray a good penetrating oil in, and carefully insert a screw driver and apply slight, steady, left hand twist on it while tapping away for a minute or two on the head with a small hammer...it will pop loose. Whatever you do, dont force it and break the top of the flimsey head slot.

Set float heights...carefully. Dont break posts tapping out the float mounting pin.

Soak the carb bodies. If you didnt mess with the synch screws or remove the butterflys then you wont need to resynch either when you put it back together.

Shoot some white lithiumm into the throttle and choke cables while you have the carb body out. Also, oil your air filter and check the seal of the air system.

Have fun.

Comment

Me, I would put new bowl gaskets on, they are cheap and now you know you have good bowl gaskets on just in case you ever have to pull them again.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X