Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prestone Brake Fluid now Synthetic Formulation . . . problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prestone Brake Fluid now Synthetic Formulation . . . problem?

I have been buying brake fluid for Walmart for decades and for me the choice has been Prestone Dot 4 brake fluid. I noticed the other day Prestone has changed their formulation for both Dot 4 & Dot 3 brake fluid to a "synthetic" formula. Does synthetic mean silicone like Dot 5 or is this synthetic Dot 3/4 formula safe to use with conventional brake fluid I have in the GS & GPz?

If it's a problem what other brand of Dot 4 brake fluid is the GSer community using?
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
    I have been buying brake fluid for Walmart for decades and for me the choice has been Prestone Dot 4 brake fluid. I noticed the other day Prestone has changed their formulation for both Dot 4 & Dot 3 brake fluid to a "synthetic" formula. Does synthetic mean silicone like Dot 5 or is this synthetic Dot 3/4 formula safe to use with conventional brake fluid I have in the GS & GPz?

If it's a problem what other brand of Dot 4 brake fluid is the GSer community using?
    The synthetic is fine as long as it says DOT 3/4. I've been using the syn DOT 3/4 for years, no problems what so ever. When you switch, just make sure you bleed (flush) out the system really good to get rid of the old stuff.

Stay away from the DOT 5 unless your system is rated for DOT 5 which I'm pretty sure it isn't.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yep, it's strictly not an issue.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
      X