mustering the confidence to do my valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mustering the confidence to do my valve adjustment

i've been busy with projects and riding (instead of working on) my bike. it's time to get the valve adjustment done and stick a new valve gasket on. i've never done a valve adjustment before on any bike. i've read the tutorial on bikecliff's site, but still wish i had someone over my shoulder to make sure i don't screw it up. i have all the tools needed, now i just need the confidence to do it! hah!

am i supposed to sync the carbs again once the adjustment is done?

any last minute tips?

You will find its not that bad once you get to it. Get one of steve's spreadsheets if you haven't already.
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I was a bit hesitant as well, but it turned out to be fairly easy. I found it easier to use the bucket depression tool by getting it in place with the lobe pressing down on the shim and then rotating the crank with a wrench until the lobe came back up. It tends to slip off of the bucket if you try to use it the conventional way. It will work either way though. Use some grease or graphite anti-sieze on both sides of the gasket when putting it all back together. You'll be glad you did when it comes time for your next valve adjustment. +1 on Steve's spreadsheet. It removes all the math and guesswork for you.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Don't rotate the engine without a shim in each bucket. Don't rotate the engine backward. Doublecheck your clearance measurements by rotating the engine through 360 degrees and checking twice. Be careful to not drop anything down the cam chain tunnel. Use patience (you'll need it!) when cleaning the gasket surfaces -- they're soft aluminum and you don't want random metal bits floating around in the engine.

Otherwise, there's really no way to cause damage. Just follow the directions and work carefully and deliberately.

Your second (and subsequent) valve lash checks will be much faster and easier, and less nerve-wracking.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

The secret to using the shim tool successfully is to apply a bit of sideways pressure -- get it started, then add a bit of sideways pressure toward the cam lobe as you're pushing it down into place.

You might also take a close look at your shim tool -- some of them have a bit of leftover flash from the molding process on the rib that presses against the edge of the bucket. Clean this up a bit with a flat file and it'll work better.

It's pretty easy once you get in there and ponder how things work. And there might be a GS-er somewhere around Milwaukee that could supervise. I know the Chicago area is simply thick with them...

And yeah, it's a good idea to re-check carb sync afterwards, especially if you changed any shims. But don't let that keep you from riding or anything.
          Last edited by bwringer; 10-29-2014, 06:17 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Didn't a GSR member post a video on doing a valve shim adjustment? I recall it being really good.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
              Get one of steve's spreadsheets if you haven't already.
              Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
              +1 on Steve's spreadsheet. It removes all the math and guesswork for you.
              Thanks guys, she got a spreadsheet four months ago.

Growler, get in touch with Wingsconsin, he is not too far from you.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Maybe to gain some experience and work up some confidence, maybe, first just say that are going to check the clearance on all of them.
                (record results somewere, like Steves spreadsheet)

Then after that, go back and take out those needing adjustment one by one to see what the existing ones are (record that) and put it back.

Then figure what new ones you need, may take a while to get them.

Yah, should redoe carb sysnc after changing any shim.
                But do not let that hold you up from proceeding.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Thanks guys, she got a spreadsheet four months ago.

Growler, get in touch with Wingsconsin, he is not too far from you.

I am HERE

And willing to come over and help -
                  Even though I have not done MY GS850 yet - I did have the good fortune to observe and be taught HOW by Steve himself.
                  I will be tackling my own in the Spring - And while I have little practical experience - I have some familiarity with the process.
                  Contact me via PM and maybe we can get together; and learn through this process together
                  I have carb synch gauges, and an AUX fuel tank to run the bike on as well...

Sign me -
                  Willing and mostly able
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Thank you for all the great advice! I'm armed with the correct tools and Steve's spreadsheet. Wingsconsin, I'll be sending you a PM soon

Comment

I wish this video showed the guy inserting the tool.

After removing the head to machine and clean the valves, I need to readjust the clearances between the valves and the cam lobes. This is a shim valve system...

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                        I wish this video showed the guy inserting the tool.

That's what she said!

Sorry.... too easy to catch that one.

I agree with everyone else. It really looks and sounds MUCH harder than it is. Just take your time.

Comment

HAHA! Yeah, that was an easy one.

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
                          That's what she said!

Sorry.... too easy to catch that one.

I agree with everyone else. It really looks and sounds MUCH harder than it is. Just take your time.

Comment

When I did the valve shims on mine it just so happened that I had the headers off. I didn't buy the tool but discovered that with a long hard stiff plastic contraption I had laying around I could get it in through the exhaust port much easier than from the top.
                            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                            80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                              with a long hard stiff plastic contraption I had laying around .
                              Define "laying around" Lmao

Sorry for yet another derailment from the original topic. It seems to be too easy to pick these things out today.

Comment

Working...
                              X