No announcement yet.

mustering the confidence to do my valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh, kind of. I'll just go back out there this week and take a video. It's the only way to make sure I'm doing this right. Thank you for your effort to explain it.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Ignore those metric APPROXIMATIONS, you have a set that goes down to 0.0015".

Just to help you with some reasoning behind the cam lobe positions: you obviously don't want a lobe pushing on a valve when you are trying to measure clearance. With the lobes in the specified positions, not only is that one not pushing on a valve, the one next to it isn't, either. That keeps the cam somewhat centered in the bearing on that side of the engine. You should note that the valve goes down in the head at about a 45 (or so) degree angle, and the two cam lobes are at about 45 degrees to the valves.

Does it make more sense now?

Comment

Just do a quick dry run through and it will all make sense. Getting the lobes to be in the right location is the easy part. Getting the old shim out and the new one in, well.... That can be a little more challenging sometimes. I've had a couple engines that you could not rotate the shim bucket on one or more of the valves. Now that can be a little challenging if the slot in the bucket happens to be in just the wrong position. But that's another story.

Don't worry about doing the valves. There's not much you can screw up that can't be undone as long as you remember to not turn the engine over while a shim is out and re-measure each valve gap after you've replaced the shim.

I think the hardest part of doing the valves is getting that darn baked on, stuck on old valve cover gasket of for the first time. Not as bad as a base gasket but still a PITA.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I am super lucky when it comes to the valve cover gasket coming off easily. Also the engine turns easily. I have a tendency to make things harder than they are. So we all can laugh together when I post a video.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
          I am super lucky when it comes to the valve cover gasket coming off easily. Also the engine turns easily. I have a tendency to make things harder than they are. So we all can laugh together when I post a video.
          I am looking forward to the video - I am a visual learner and that would help me a lot.
          But when I am ready to do it (later this spring) I am sure I can tackle it with all the resources we have here.

Question for the masses --
          Do you order shims BEFORE you do the job or AFTER you take all the measurements ?
          I know Steve sent me my very own copy of his spreadsheet with the current shims inventoried --
          So I should be able to order the ones I think I need prior to opening the bike up..
          As well as the needed gaskets ...
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
            I am looking forward to the video - I am a visual learner and that would help me a lot.
            But when I am ready to do it (later this spring) I am sure I can tackle it with all the resources we have here.

Question for the masses --
            Do you order shims BEFORE you do the job or AFTER you take all the measurements ?
            I know Steve sent me my very own copy of his spreadsheet with the current shims inventoried --
            So I should be able to order the ones I think I need prior to opening the bike up..
            As well as the needed gaskets ...
            Unless you have a bunch of extra shims laying around, an 8-valve shim job is at least a three-step process: 1) measure 2) order new shims and wait for them to arrive 3) install new shims and measure again to be sure. I personally think its better to wait on the gaskets until you have everything torn apart and are ready to order shims. That way you have the option of buying the gaskets from the same place you buy the shims. And anything else you might find you need upon giving the bike a good look-over at the same time.

I'm to the reassembly stage of my 850 top-end rebuild at this point. I hope to have to back together enough that I can check the valve clearances by tonight. If I get that far, I'll try take some video to illustrate the process.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
              Unfortunately, Steve's spreadsheet isn't my issue. The positioning of the lobes is what I need help with.
              Yes I realize that. Just sayin' once you go through it it will all be pretty straightforward.
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                It also serves as a record of the last time my lazy asp last did the valves.
                You have a snake do your valve adjustments?

COOL!!

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  You have a snake do your valve adjustments?

COOL!!

I guess my secret is out. Mr. Smart Aspertame.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

You don't know what you need for sure until you measure what you have then you might be able to move some around so you won't need as much.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Going to work on this tonight, and will definitely document the process. I think I finally understand.

My old half moons are stuck in there good with some sealer. How should I attack getting them out? I obviously don't want to mar any surfaces. Grab them with a needle nose? Pry them out?

Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Replacing gaskets while I'm doing this, of course. This old valve cover breather gasket looks weird. I didn't expect to see anything covering up the wire mesh stuff. Is this normal?

Comment

Yes, that's normal. That's the path through the breather and the wire mesh is designed to trap any oil that's being puked out. There are wire pads above and below the gasket.
                          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Once you get this finished you will qualify for advanced level tinkering ! (And feel good too!)
                            Currently in the Stable :
                            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Once you get this finished you will qualify for advanced level tinkering ! (And feel good too!)
                              And if you ever have to split the cases then you qualify for MASTER TINKERER!

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Your " '82" bike seems to have a black engine that looks rather "factory".

You sure it's not an '83?

What was the production date? (found on the VIN plate on the steering stem)

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X