Tyre / Tire Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyre / Tire Choices

Haven't bought a new set (that wasn't dualsport) in a while... What's the preferred choice in the 100/90/19 & 130/90/17?

I always used Roadriders in the past but have experienced some of the sidewall cracking that others have suffered with....

Also usually use http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Anyone got anywhere else they prefer?
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Pirelli Sport Demons if you are more concerned with them being sticky and less with mileage. They don't last long but give you confidence in the turns. Of course my front is wearing fine. The back not so much .
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I went to a AHRMA vintage bike race event this month and had a look at the tires people used.
      Almost exclusively Avon Roadriders, and Roadriders Non-DOT. Not one set of Pirelli Sport Demons or Bridgestone Battlax.
      Big surprise to me.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I always buy my tires from Denniskirk.com as they have not only the best prices but free shipping and they stock what they sell.

Comment

Still RoadRiders.

The cracking problem is long past, and it never did affect all examples -- I've installed and replaced dozens of RoadRiders, and never seen the cracking.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
            I always buy my tires from Denniskirk.com as they have not only the best prices but free shipping and they stock what they sell.
            Apparently you've never checked American Moto Tire, Motorcycle Superstore, or Jake Wilson?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Metzler Lazertechs are a good choice. Back in the 80's I used to run Metzler ME99A Perfect on the rear and ME77 then later ME33 on the front. Excellent quality and great performance.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Still RoadRiders.

The cracking problem is long past, and it never did affect all examples -- I've installed and replaced dozens of RoadRiders, and never seen the cracking.
                I have a set on my 1000EN and they're holding up quite well. Good solid tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  I went to a AHRMA vintage bike race event this month and had a look at the tires people used.
                  Almost exclusively Avon Roadriders, and Roadriders Non-DOT. Not one set of Pirelli Sport Demons or Bridgestone Battlax.
                  Big surprise to me.
                  The AM-26 race tires are excellent track tires and would absolutely eat the Pirelli's or Bridgestones on the track, but that is to be expected for a track specific tire compared to street tires.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Looks like I'm spooning on another set of Roadriders then...

All the same price give or take a couple of bucks... $200 a set. Anyone got any coupons lately?
                    Last edited by salty_monk; 06-17-2016, 03:21 PM.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dennis Kirk had the best prices on tires when I looked (and that includes their hidden $5/tires shipping fee). Throw in a few other items though and the prices were dead even between DK, Motorcycle Superstone, and Chaparral. Chaparral gave me an extra $8 off so I ordered some Shinko 230's through them. Wish I knew they were in California and would take a day or two longer than DK.

Just checked Roadriders in my sizes. Jake Wilson was $2 cheaper than DK.
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Apparently you've never checked American Moto Tire, Motorcycle Superstore, or Jake Wilson?
                        Before scolding me for my suggestion, have YOU checked pricing? For the heck of it, I looked up a Dunlop 404 front 110/90-19 and compared prices at all three places:

Dennis Kirk $68.30
                        American Moto Tire $68.64
                        Motorcycle Superstore $68.30
                        Jake Wilson $68.30

I also checked bikebandit.com and they were $68.30 as well. I guess I should also mention that I like Dennis Kirk because they list how many tires they have in stock so you are not ordering a back order and they ship the same day in most cases. I am sure that other places are just as good but I have had great luck with DK. I didn't endorse the 404s but that tire as an example as they are super-common and I was pretty sure I could find comps on every tire site I checked.

Comment

Metzeler has a new tire designed for our bikes.
                          The Sportec Klassik. Looks and reads good to me.
                          I just got a pair for my 1100E. Havnt mounted them so no feedback from me yet.

Comment

I saw that one & they do look quite nice... I had a Metzler rebate offer but even with that they are about 10-15% more than the cost of the Avons.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by TiiMuch View Post
                              Metzeler
                              Was Metzler the orig tire ? Cant remember.

Waiting for your reviews. Looks like a nice tire...

The people at Avon tell me the post 2013 (mfg date) road riders shouldn't crack. I have one and its not cracking. Thats after 4 in a row (pre 2013) that did. Im still convinced it was a cold (below freezing) issue.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-23-2016, 09:32 PM.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X