GS850G / GL frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G / GL frame

Hey all. I've been working on my 1981 GS850GL for the past few months, refurbishing various things to get it roadworthy. But, I'm sort of swimming against an ugly tide: I acquired the bike without a title. I found someone selling a 1981 GS850 frame and title on Craigslist (no sub-model specified, waiting to hear back from him), and was wondering if the frames are compatible between sub-models, G, GL, etc.?

Thanks!
    Greg

Turns out the CL frame is a GS850G. Forum research leads me to believe the frames are close but not close enough to make the swap truly straightforward (I'm not interested in welding tabs and other such modifications). If anyone has additional thoughts or wisdom to impart, please lay it on me.

Comment

Alan

sigpic
      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Correct -- the frames are different. The forks, headlight, tank, seat, rear fender, brake caliper brackets, airbox, and a few other odds and ends are incompatible.

However, the engine and carbs from the GL would drop right in to the G. The exhausts are different but would interchange. I believe the '81 rear wheels are also different (16" for the GL, 17" for the G) but would interchange.

If the G is otherwise complete but has a bad engine, you could swap in the engine and have a running G. If all you have is a G frame, then you'd need to locate the rest of the parts to make a motorcycle.

Not sure whether the Vermont title would work for you in NY, but it's worth looking into.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Wow, great find! Thanks!

Comment

If you just need a title I may have a 850GL title, can you make that work. Some people work "magic" somehow lol

Comment

Originally posted by nyitguy View Post
              Wow, great find! Thanks!
              Yep, good luck.
              Alan

sigpic
              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...