Supersprox stealth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersprox stealth

Has anyone used this type of hybrid steel\aluminum sprocket?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

I thought this would be about a new super infectious smallpox, bio warfare weapon?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

No, have never had the need for this "sprocket" thing since April of 1979.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I read a lot on this it seems its marketing hype. Minimal weight loss overall plus a seriously compromised sprocket.
        Stell it is for me and none of the nonsense 520. Good old God-fearing 530 and OEM steel. Had the last set on for 35 000 miles with religious clean\oil cycles.
        3-4 pounds of unsprung weight shaved cannot be wortht eh price or hassle.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          I read a lot on this it seems its marketing hype. Minimal weight loss overall plus a seriously compromised sprocket.
          Stell it is for me and none of the nonsense 520. Good old God-fearing 530 and OEM steel. Had the last set on for 35 000 miles with religious clean\oil cycles.
          That's what I read some where to,best to go OEM (usually Sunstar)or JT.I've had good luck with JT sprockets to.

Comment

Couple of my dirt bikes have had them. They come in orange or red whatever you flavor of bike is. They last as long as steel, probably lighter but I never took one off to weigh it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              It depends on what you are doing. For our heavy, old-tech suspension, bias ply tired machines it isn't even a detectable difference. For lighter, faster machines with quality suspension on a track then losing unsprung, rotating weight is absolutely worth it.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Very, very little weight difference for the money.

Even on a very light dirtbike, the only real benefit is that it looks sorta cool.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I dunno. Certainly a 530 swap is a plus, given SS Mag's findings regarding a 530 to 520 swap. Not sure whether the further reductions in weight make a difference, but they may.

"When the smoke cleared and the averages were calculated, the Ninja 1000 gained 1.5 HP and 1.4 LB-FT at the rear wheel and knocked off .05 seconds in the 25-125 MPH fourth gear dyno acceleration test."

http://www.superstreetbike.com/how-to/does-520-chain-conversion-increase-horsepower-mythbusters
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

.05??? pretty awful net gain
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      I dunno. Certainly a 530 swap is a plus, given SS Mag's findings regarding a 530 to 520 swap. Not sure whether the further reductions in weight make a difference, but they may.

"When the smoke cleared and the averages were calculated, the Ninja 1000 gained 1.5 HP and 1.4 LB-FT at the rear wheel and knocked off .05 seconds in the 25-125 MPH fourth gear dyno acceleration test."

http://www.superstreetbike.com/how-to/does-520-chain-conversion-increase-horsepower-mythbusters
                      They probably would have done better with a comparison of o-ring to conventional chain. Unsprung weight is much more of an issue on a light bike, but that doesn't really apply to our heavy, old-tech machines.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I'll take 1 or 2 free hp and lb ft any day of the week when it comes to replacing worn parts with no compromise. My 1150 runs a 530 conversion. I'd never go back.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Even on a very light dirtbike, the only real benefit is that it looks sorta cool.
                          Yep, except when damn near everyone has one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Joe Whelan's 1100ez used them and they are attractive. Maybe more form than function. Rob Wilton was another proponent .

Comment

Working...
                            X