No announcement yet.

(General) Diameter of electrical cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Z1 Enterprises for wiring, connectors and the tools for the connectors. They have a wide assortment. I changed many of the old bullet connectors to weatherproof spade connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
      Try Z1 Enterprises for wiring, connectors and the tools for the connectors. They have a wide assortment. I changed many of the old bullet connectors to weatherproof spade connectors.
      Nice! I didn't know they had this stuff.

Color/Finish: Red Material: Steel Fits: Universal Note: Removes wires from terminals without damage

They don't tell you what gauge the wire is or what the insulation is made of, so you just have to make a few assumptions...

With wiring, it's easy to go down a bit of an expensive rabbit hole and go overboard making everything NASA grade. You have to find a good middle ground between the often crappy stock connectors and something suitable for an interstellar oceanic mission.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

One simple point to bear in mind, with bike (or any vehicle wiring) is the vibration resistance of the wiring. I don't know how many vehicle wiring harnesses I've seen repaired with the wrong type of cable - ie, too few strands in it. Finely-stranded cables are more flexible and tend to resist cracking for far longer, even if installed incorrectly. Of course, making sure the harness isn't allowed to flap about is important, too.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          One simple point to bear in mind, with bike (or any vehicle wiring) is the vibration resistance of the wiring. I don't know how many vehicle wiring harnesses I've seen repaired with the wrong type of cable - ie, too few strands in it. Finely-stranded cables are more flexible and tend to resist cracking for far longer, even if installed incorrectly. Of course, making sure the harness isn't allowed to flap about is important, too.
          Agreed:

If you look at power cables on LiPo batteries for Drones they have very fine stranded cables. I don't know what the count typically is but Automotive grade wires is usually adequate for a motorcycle but it is very important to keep the wires wrapped so that individual strands have not only the support of the individual cable, but also the wrapped cable group. Securing the wrapped cable group then provides a very good support that can be used to minimize any "flapping around".

Of course you have to make sure you don't have soldered joints with solder wicked way up a wires that is subject to flapping. It will break off in short order.

Wire to wire soldered butt joints need to be stabilized inside of the harness wrap as an absolute necessity.

This is one area at least that house wiring twist caps are an improvement if you can't actually do a proper job .
          Last edited by posplayr; 01-11-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Nice! I didn't know they had this stuff.

https://www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL35-9266

They don't tell you what gauge the wire is or what the insulation is made of, so you just have to make a few assumptions...
            Perfectly timed thread. I had the same question regarding gauge of wire from Z1 Enterprises so I emailed them.... The response was 18 gauge. Hope this helps! Thanks so much for all the insight!

For reference, I asked about the wire in general but referenced part#KS001-1015 so the rep from Z1 had something specific to go on.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I posted this in another thread but it's relevant here too for those who want to simplify their wiring, eliminating the many wires that go nowhere on our bikes.
              Probably the simplest wiring diagram ever.

Intimidated by the thought of messing with your motorcycle wiring? Then follow our expert-written guide to fixing issues with electrics.
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
              X