Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake Troubleshooting - Calling all brake experts

Hi All, it's riding season and I cant ride my 81' GS650G. Please Help

My front brakes work, but work too well and work when i'm not squeezing the lever. It feels like the front brake lever has constant pressure on the pads, which is reflected in the fact that I cant even push it in neutral because the brakes are on so much. The bike began with normal pressure and the bike was able to coast, but the more I used the brakes the more they got tighter and tighter, now I cant ride it...No Bueno

I rebuilt the master cylinder, replaced the brake lines, and replaced the rubber in both of the calipers. I talked to a shop about it and they said it could be the round rubber seal, in the calipers which meets the sides of the piston, is too small, and I was possibly given the wrong one when I bought it. I do not doubt this because I was given the wrong piston for the master cylinder too.

Has anyone heard of this? I could always rip apart the calipers and put new rubber seals in, but it is nice to hear from someone who has experience before I do.

BTW this is only on the front brakes, the rear are working as they should

Thank you for all the help

If both calipers are binding, it is most likely the master cylinder. If only one is binding, then it is that caliper. Master cylinders can be tricky to put together correctly. I've done it wrong several times myself...

Comment

Either there is a problem with some plugged port, as written by previous posters. Or bad rubber has swollen up (but that would mean horrendously wrong supply of parts!).

Bleed the brakes once more. If they don't free up, its probably the seal in the calipers. If they do, the problem is likely in some other part of the system.

It would be weird if it's some swollen up rubber, because that would mean you've got rubber that is _not_ appropriate for use with brake fluid.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

My money would be on a plugged "compensation" port in the master cylinder. It's a very small port, easily plugged and easily overlooked during an "overhaul".

The compensation port is supposed to be open from the brake lines to the reservoir until you squeeze the lever. The first movement of the lever will cover the port to seal the lines so you can build pressure. The port is open to allow fluid to flow through as it warms up and expands in the calipers. If it is plugged, pressure simply builds up in the calipers, not allowing you to move the bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm with steve on this the pressure is not being released back into the reservoir when the lever is released because of a blocked return port possibly wrongly fitted or incorrect parts.
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

If you crack open the bleed nipple on the caliper and the wheel frees up then it's more than likely the blocked return port as mentioned above.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Perfect, thank you everyone. Looks like it is most likely the compensation port which isn't allowing fluid to go back to the reservoir. I remember trying to clean this, but the hole was so small I didnt have anything which would fit through.
              Any suggestions on how to clean this port? Thinking wire smaller than the hole and softer metal not to damage, where do I get something like that?

Comment

Cut a short section of wire, peel back the insulation, use one strand of copper wire. It's stiff enough to poke through the crud, but softer than the master cylinder body, so no damage. When you are done poking, spray some brake cleaner through there with its little straw, then follow up with a blast of compressed air.

If you have the piston out of the bore, you should be able to shine a light in there and see that the port is open.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've used a guitar string to clean out stubborn compensation ports. I played bass in a busy bar band a while back, so I collected a goodly supply of broken strings from my guitar player...

The copper strand is a better approach overall, since you can't damage anything with it, but sometimes it's still tough to get through a really solid deposit of whatever the heck that stuff is. And you might have to rummage through your random wire collection and try a few to find a strand small enough to fit but big enough to have a little stiffness.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Pretty sure I got this tip from this forum - clip off a strand of wire off a wire brush and push it into the end of a matchstick. Perfect tool for clearing small holes in carbs and the like.
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I was able to get that other hole open, after working at it for a while, it was all gummed up and closed. That might be the problem

Have another question...how much are the brakes supposed to grab when spinning the wheel on a jack?
                      After fixing and putting in neutral, spun the front and back wheels. Back spun pretty free with some minor scraping from the pads, but the front still caught enough to slow the wheel as if the brakes are on. Assuming that means the front still needs some work?

Comment

I use the wire brush wire for doing carb jets and master cylinder returns. I hold it with hemostats though.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If the hole is open and they still grab its time to break down calipers and clean them. Remove the pistons seals and clean the groove the seal seats into. Scale build up pushes the seals tighter and tighter against the pistons...thus they dont release enough when you let off the lever. ALSO, clean the carrier pins for the pads.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                          X