Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

center stand...trick to get it up on it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

center stand...trick to get it up on it...

Have an 850GL. Granted, I'm not a large guy ....5'7" about 160 lbs. But I really struggle to get it up on the center stand. Forget it in running shoes...have to put on my riding boots, and typically use a rocking motion, and pull up heavily under the rear fender. Sometimes I need help from another individual. What's the trick? I can't believe they'd design a feature that can't be utilized by an average guy, let alone an average gal....

trick for me is firm constant pressure on the foot thingy. you are more pushing that into the ground while pulling the bike reaerward than doing any lifting at all.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
      trick for me is firm constant pressure on the foot thingy. you are more pushing that into the ground while pulling the bike reaerward than doing any lifting at all.
      +1

You have one of the hardest of the GS models to get up on the stand. There should be a chrome handle for you to grab hold of. If it's not there someone removed it.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

A short piece of 1x4 is a life saver. Just roll the rear wheel up on it, things will be much easier.
        I had a Kawasaki Concours that was a real bear to get up on the centerstand, carried the piece of wood in a saddlebag so I always had it with me, made a world of difference.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Technique is most critical. Start with the bike on the side stand, of course. Place your right foot on the centerstand pedal, push it down to the ground while you lift the bike off the side stand. You will be able to feel when the right-side pad of the centerstand touches the ground when you get the bike vertical. At that point, lean over the bike, put ALL of your weight on your right foot. Pull up with your right hand on the chrome lift bar and pull back with your left hand on the handlebar.

Yes, it's the hardest GS to get on the centerstand, but Rich's suggestion of a board under the rear tire works quite well. I go one better and use a 2x4, rather than a 1x4, but my 850 is a bit heavier than average, with the saddlebags, trunk and fairing. A check of my signature picture will explain that quickly.

A couple other things to check that will make a BIG difference:
          - make sure your tires are the proper sizes. If you have 80-series tires instead of the normal 90-series, the bike will sit lower, making it harder to get on the centerstand
          - make sure your shocks are the correct length of 330mm (13")
          - make sure your forks are not slid up in the triples

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Like been said. You press down with your foot more than lift. Not hard at all. Is any thing is bent or you have low profile tyres on? 130/90 x17 and 100/90x19 are the sizes you require. If theres a 120/80 x 17 on rear that be half your battle.

Comment

Yep, make sure the bike hasn't been lowered. Shocks at full extension should be right about 13" center to center, and the fork tubes should be even with the tops of the triples.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not sure about it being the hardest, my GS1000G is a bit of a tank, and the hardest bike I've had to date. But maybe the center of gravity changes things for the GL, in which case I feel you pain.

It's hard to explain, but once you get the knack you'll know. The mistake I used to make was not allowing the bike to settle on both feet of the center stand before lifting. Rest you foot on the stand, right the bike and allow it to settle, then as said above it's as much about pushing down with you foot as it is lifting up and back from the handrail under the seat. I'm not much taller than you and weigh slightly less. I can do it in soft shoes.

I used to watch the guys in the bike shops rolling the bikes around as if they were pedal cycles, but now I can pretty much do the same regardless of the weight of the bike. You just need to find the balance, and work with the weight of the bike not against it. ... if that makes any sense.

Comment

I've tried using 2X4 on the front and back of the bike. It seems to work better for me putting the 2X4 on the front tire.

My "T" weighs about 500 lbs.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestion folks, my handle is missing...however, will try the 2x4 trick.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      I've tried using 2X4 on the front and back of the bike. It seems to work better for me putting the 2X4 on the front tire.

My "T" weighs about 500 lbs.

Ed
                      The center stand pivot is closer to the rear of the bike, so putting the board under the front doesn't do a whole lot. Putting it under the rear is a lot more effective.
                      For me at least, the 1x4 under just the rear wheel worked wonders. I'm certainly no Hulk, 5'11", 165lbs with a bad back, and it made getting the Concours up on the stand much easier.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

There's no way I can get my 850 on the center stand without the 2x block. Original rear shocks are due to be replaced though. Maybe front springs too, but in the mean time here's the board I use. It was a 2x8 but it split. I ran it through the table saw for a bit of a slope.

Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                          The center stand pivot is closer to the rear of the bike, so putting the board under the front doesn't do a whole lot. Putting it under the rear is a lot more effective.
                          For me at least, the 1x4 under just the rear wheel worked wonders. I'm certainly no Hulk, 5'11", 165lbs with a bad back, and it made getting the Concours up on the stand much easier.
                          I replaced my old rear shocks (well, MrBill did it while I was looking for oil filter spring) and maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe my front forks a slightly higher...I don't know...I'm guessing.

But I did try them both and found it easier when the front tire was two inches higher. I lifted and parked the bike before my knee surgeries in Mar/Apr 2018. I have not moved it since.

Ed
                          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 08-29-2018, 08:12 PM.
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Strong boots. It's about being able to get weight onto the stand.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. As someone mentioned, focusing efforts on backwards motion vs. lifting up did the trick...even did it my running shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X