Oil Sight Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Sight Glass

I have a 81 GS850 and I can't tell the oil level looking through the sight glass in the clutch cover. I know these darken with age, so my questions are: how do I clean it? Or can I clean it? Does the clutch cover need to be removed, or can I clean it while it's mounted? Or does it need replaced, in which case where do I find one? Or do I have to replace the clutch cover entirely? This would be a good time of year to attempt this. Anybody else have this problem? (there's got to be someone.)
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

For more information try this...

Click "Advanced Search"
    Type SIGHT GLASS into search field
    Toggle "titles only"
    Search...
    Start reading various threads talking about this topic. That's how I found the information for the part posted above.

Good luck
    Last edited by Nessism; 12-12-2018, 04:43 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had a hard time seeing mine clearly until this past summer when I used Lucus oil which must be laden with cleaners because when I changed my oil suddenly my sight glass was clean. Certainly not as sure a fix as new or a good cleaning but it did work for me. It was an unintended plus.

Comment

bah! I hate these. New oil can't be seen when bending down from the seat. I mean, putting the bike on the centre-stand with travelling luggage in some mountain gasstation when you Need to check? Ridiculous. I know why Suzuki did it; because you can't get a dip-stick down straight on the bikes that have them. I bent up a piece of coathanger to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
          I had a hard time seeing mine clearly until this past summer when I used Lucus oil which must be laden with cleaners because when I changed my oil suddenly my sight glass was clean. Certainly not as sure a fix as new or a good cleaning but it did work for me. It was an unintended plus.
          Thank you for supporting our football stadium!

(No seriously, Lucas oils are pretty darn good stuff. Good fork oil, too.)
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Thank you for supporting our football stadium!

(No seriously, Lucas oils are pretty darn good stuff. Good fork oil, too.)
            Happy to do it!! Even now with my winter blend (10w40) the engine sounds smooth as hell, shifting is better than ever and it just makes me and my bike happy! Yea its expensive but .. hey my bike is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR10...XR4q:rk:3:pf:0

For more information try this...

Click "Advanced Search"
              Type SIGHT GLASS into search field
              Toggle "titles only"
              Search...
              Start reading various threads talking about this topic. That's how I found the information for the part posted above.

Good luck
              Would I need to drain my oil to install that?
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Would I need to drain my oil to install that?
                No, if you put the bike on the kickstand, all the oil runs to the left side and you won't lose any when you remove the clutch cover. Let the bike sit on the kickstand for an hour or two beforehand, and it's a pretty clean operation.

That said... I'm honestly not 100% sure whether you absolutely have to remove the clutch cover (and thus also have to replace the clutch cover gasket) to replace the sight glass.

Perhaps someone else could weigh in who's done it that way. I've only replaced these when the clutch cover is off for other reasons, so it's dead easy to knock the old one out and push the new one in.

Mainly, I'm not sure whether you can consistently pry the sight glass out without breaking the glass.

If you slather your clutch cover gasket with a thin layer of plain grease, you'll be able to re-use it several times.

Also, you don't have to get everything from fleaBay, ya know; check the part price at your local Suzuki dealer or favorite source for Suzuki parts.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  No, if you put the bike on the kickstand, all the oil runs to the left side and you won't lose any when you remove the clutch cover. Let the bike sit on the kickstand for an hour or two beforehand, and it's a pretty clean operation.

That said... I'm honestly not 100% sure whether you absolutely have to remove the clutch cover (and thus also have to replace the clutch cover gasket) to replace the sight glass.

Perhaps someone else could weigh in who's done it that way. I've only replaced these when the clutch cover is off for other reasons, so it's dead easy to knock the old one out and push the new one in.

Mainly, I'm not sure whether you can consistently pry the sight glass out without breaking the glass.

If you slather your clutch cover gasket with a thin layer of plain grease, you'll be able to re-use it several times.

Also, you don't have to get everything from fleaBay, ya know; check the part price at your local Suzuki dealer or favorite source for Suzuki parts.
                  Thanks. I honestly didn't expect a thoughtful and useful response. I thought I was just asking a silly question.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Seafoam cleaned saight glass on a buddies 82 GS1100GL. Worth a shot to dump a few ounces in and take it for a good ride.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wow learned some new stuff in this thread. Didn't know you could use seafoam in the crankcase and didn't know all that oil would slosh to one side on the sidestand. I guess you could potentially do clutch work without losing the oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                        I guess you could potentially do clutch work without losing the oil?
                        Dirt bike guys regularly pull clutches just by laying the bike on its side. I have never done that to mess with my GS clutch, but it should also work fine there as well.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                        X