Stability of clip-ons ? 1979 GS750L project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Just thinking out loud��. Could the installation of clip-ons to the fork tubes cause a crease or damage the chrome so that fork seal replacement would become problematic?
    Definite NO.
    This sort of thing is why, over the years, all the clip-ons I've made have been made with welded on tubular bolt-through clamps.
    6mm fasteners, yes, but capscrews and nyloc nuts. They don't move.

Comment

Ok. Honest answer to a dumb question. My bad. Carry on.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

gosh an important subject this. Its bad when you lose a grip and fly off the handle.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Tres droll, Cipher.

Talking about gripping things onto chrome forks, I used to think the main reason for inverted forks was to lessen the unsprung weight. Turns out it's so the triples have a larger, less slippery area to clamp on to.

The lesser unsprung weight is a very minor, secondary benefit.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

just continuing this topic, as it's still too crappy to ride. there are many advantages to upside-down forks. their larger diameter sliders have less flex which results in improved handling and feel, the slider bushings have a greater surface area on which to act, and they have less weight overall. there are many sources for this info, here's one.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...de-down-forks/,

Comment

Working...
            X