No announcement yet.

Is this Speedo actually from a GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That replacement speedo has the reed switch used for auto cancelling turn signals. It sure looks like it came from a shaftie.

Holler if you want to sell it...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      What were you doing that had it going so fast, and for so long?

I think I know, but I want to see YOU say it.
      Originally posted by free99 View Post
      Just cruising
      I did my homework, but it fell in a puddle and the school bus ran it over. Then the dog ate it.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Dunno why I didn't think about it, but does anyone know what the correct speedo drive gear would be? OEM is 54600-34001 but that was for a max 85 speedometer. This new one, just as a reminder, goes up to 140mph. If only my bike could actually get that high.

I'll be posting a quick how-to on how to mangle a speedometer face until it fits a smaller speedometer body soon. Maybe even with pictures!
        1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
        1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Dunno why I didn't think about it, but does anyone know what the correct speedo drive gear would be? OEM is 54600-34001 but that was for a max 85 speedometer. This new one, just as a reminder, goes up to 140mph. If only my bike could actually get that high.

I'll be posting a quick how-to on how to mangle a speedometer face until it fits a smaller speedometer body soon. Maybe even with pictures!
          I'm guessing that different part numbers would be for different wheel diameters and possibly different types of wheels. This assumption is based on my looking into replacing my speedo/tach with a digital unit, there's a common ratio that a lot of bikes use (2240:60) Bolt up what you've got and see how it works!
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            I'm guessing that different part numbers would be for different wheel diameters and possibly different types of wheels. This assumption is based on my looking into replacing my speedo/tach with a digital unit, there's a common ratio that a lot of bikes use (2240:60) Bolt up what you've got and see how it works!
            Hey LAB3, unfortunately the speedo is spinning around 2x the actual speed (I can do tests and tell you exactly if it'd help). I just wish I knew what year/model bike this speedometer came off of and I'd simply swap that gear in on the front wheel of my 450.

Comment

Hey LAB3, unfortunately the speedo is spinning around 2x the actual speed (I can do tests and tell you exactly if it'd help). I just wish I knew what year/model bike this speedometer came off of and I'd simply swap that gear in on the front wheel of my 450.
              Ooops, wrong guess!

Comment

Bought my bike with 7200 original miles on it and have close to 33k now. In that time I've broken the original speedo cable and replaced it and two different tach cables as well. I've made sure that my routing and lubing are done properly and despite my best efforts the needles are jumpy and keep breaking cables.

As mentioned, my understanding is that the speedos all run at the same ratio, 2260 turns of the cable at 60mph. Since your problem popped up I've spent a good part of the last day trying to figure out why yours didn't work not only to help answer your question but mine as well: What will be my best replacement option or long term permanent fix.

Buying a used set of gauges pretty much leaves me where I started and with a NOS speedo going for $265 that really isn't a ligical option on what is essentially a bike that's worth $1200. The best conclusion I've come to is to ditch mechanical speedos altogether and go with either digital or GPS. Unfortunately this doesn't answer your question but it's the best option I can see.

Comment

OK, great news: Turns out LAB3 was right, the stock speedo drive works!

The problem was due to preloading the mechanism a little too much to keep the needle at zero, the measured speed was always off. But once I compared to a GPS speedometer, I noticed the consistent difference, and now all the speeds are pretty close to correct once I got the preload right.

Can't be spot on, otherwise I'd have to honestly answer that I did know how fast I was going.

Comment

Hey folks,
                    I managed to completely f@#$@#$k up the insides of the speedometer on my GS450L by staying above 80mph for too long, the spring that returns the needle back to zero is now a gordian knot.

I bought a replacement off ebay with a higher top speed, seller said it was for a GS450 and other models but the diameter is a bit larger than the original. I'd like to find a black cover as well as the chrome end piece for it. Any ideas? Original part numbers for my bike were 34151-45300 and 34193-45300, respectively.

For this new meter, OD is ~93mm for the white plastic, spacing between the mount pins is 76.5mm, speed goes up to 140mph/220kph and it has two holes to plug lights into vs the original one.

Does anyone know what the new end cap and cover part numbers would be for this gauge? Thank you, and stay healthy!
                    did you see if the cable was tightened on before you bought a different speedo, like tightened all the way?
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                    X