Rotella T4 15w-40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotella T4 15w-40

as the thread title states; I got my hands on some rotella T4 15w-40 diesel oil for cheap. I was hoping to use it in my 78’ GS750. I’m located in New Orleans so I don’t have to worry about cold weather riding conditions. More like 90-100F for almost half the year

thanks for the space
    Andrew R
    sigpic

1978 GS 750

There are about 1000 posts here from people happily using Rotella T4.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I searched a bunch and found a lot about the 5w not the 15w. Was just wondering if the viscosity range was too high. But like I stated I’m in hot n humid New Orleans on an air cooled
      sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

Manual recommended 10W40 IIRC, so a 15W40 especially in a warm climate should be good to go. I run it in all of my bikes and my Jeep. Diesel oil is still allowed to have a healthy ZDDP additive package so on older flat tappet engines and motorcycles it seems to do well. AFAIK Rotella used to hold a JASO-MA certification and the only reason it was dropped was because they didn't submit for it.

Comment

Thanks Downs.
          sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

The top end in my bike tends to get louder in hot weather, I just might try a 20w50 sometime just to see if it helps change that. Long story short, don't sweat the 15 vs 10.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
              Manual recommended 10W40 IIRC, so a 15W40 especially in a warm climate should be good to go. I run it in all of my bikes and my Jeep. Diesel oil is still allowed to have a healthy ZDDP additive package so on older flat tappet engines and motorcycles it seems to do well. AFAIK Rotella used to hold a JASO-MA certification and the only reason it was dropped was because they didn't submit for it.
              I use the Rotella T4 15W-40 year round in Indiana.

The fresh bottle in my garage says JASO-MA, and so does every other bottle I've seen on the shelf lately.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I've used that & the full synthetic. No problems. You may get some pull against the clutch in first gear on initial start (i.e. there may be some "drive" there with the clutch all the way in but not enough that it affects anything, just enough that you'll feel it. That is normal).

Currently to "run in" the GS1100 I'm using a high quality Castrol Diesel dino oil... that's working too. (mostly because my local O reilly had a gallon of it reduced down to $3.50.. Left over stock apparently and it's coming out again pretty soon).
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Plus one for the T4 15W40. I'm obsessed with it and grab a gallon when I see it at a good price.
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Question to the UK GS owners with no availability of Rotella T4 in UK, what engine oil alternative do you use in your GS
                    GS1000 enthusiast from the UK
                    Checkout my ride 1980 Suzuki GS1000E

Comment

If I was looking for a synthetic Shell right now, I'd buy some Helix 5w40 - gas-to-oil synthesis and very good stuff, but I don't know how well it copes with shearing, which these gearboxes do to the oil.
                      Ignore the usual greedy sods selling it, you can find it on Amazon for a decent price.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X