Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to remove tachometer from valve cover '81 gs550T

hi everyone.

Doing my first valve check on my 81 GS550T. When removing the valve cover I need to remove the tachometer as well. How do I do this?? I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so. I've turned the large metal casing that sticks out of the mount both ways, tried pulling it out but no luck. Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thanks so much.

here's a picture of it:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like noahoh.
    1981 GS550T

You got the tab and nut off. That’s really all that’s holding it on. Take the cable off first, the knurled part, loosen with a channel lock pliers or similar, gently. Use a rag or something in the teeth if you can. Now that the cable is out of the way, get some PB blaster or something in there where the round tach drive housing meets the valve cover. There’s on oring on that shaft that’s making it a snug fit. Use the padded pliers twist and pull the housing out. This part is easily buggered. And I’ve seen them broken from too much force. But they are made to come out.

make sure to replace the flat oring and the oil seal inside the shaft with new OEM.

Edit:
    I just reread the original post. Your taking the valve cover off for clearance check. Sorry. No need to remove the drive housing unless it’s leaking oil there.

if the housing is turning when you try to remove the cable, put the tab and nut back on to hold it in place while you turn the knurled part/end on the tach cable. Again PB blaster is your friend is corrosion is fighting you.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-07-2020, 05:47 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The part numbers may or may not be different on your bike, and the tach fitting plugs into a different location, but this procedure may help:

Basically, that fitting just pulls out, but the band seal is likely hardened over the years and these things get stuck very tightly. It may be easier to remove it while the VC is still held in place on the engine.

On bikes like this with the tach drive in the valve cover, you do need to remove the cable, but you don't necessarily need to remove the fitting. Yours doesn't appear to be leaking yet, anyway. However, when you re-install the valve cover, make VERY VERY sure that you wiggle the drive gear a little as you drop the valve cover into place and ensure that it meshes properly with the drive teeth on the camshaft. Do NOT just whack it on there and cinch the bolts down, or you run the risk of breaking the teeth.

Also, the proper thickness of the valve cover gasket is very important on these bikes, since that sets the running clearance of the tach gear and the cam. Many, if not most, aftermarket valve cover gaskets are incorrect, so this is one instance where the correct OEM part can save a lot of fuzzlement and possibly prevent damage.

If you coat an OEM gasket with a bit of grease before installing, you can safely re-use it many times.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
      X