Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake mechanism ..... impossibility to renew - adjust

I have a GS550E1980 and a GSX250E 1980 and both use the
    crackpot design for the front brake lever to make contact to illuminate the bulb.

It is under the leaver mechanism where the lever attaches
    to the handlebar cluster.
    It is attached by 2 small screws holding a 2cm long cap that holds a sprint and a contact......
    If you are not careful you will lose the spring. Adjusting is like playing Ker Plunk !

I will add pictures asap as this must be re designed !!!

My question is: Has anyone made a change to this abomination that makes all this easier ?
    It is a job to dread but I admit when it is done it will last until it goes wrong again in a few years.
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

While the design isn't the best it's generally functional if properly maintained. If you want to change it up regardless, there are switches that go inline with the brake line and sense fluid pressure thus competing continuity. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10mmx1-25-1...cAAOSw1BxeGCSo
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just done mine. It's character building
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I so agree it can reveal your true character.
        It has revealed ,a previously unknown character trait similar to
        Jekyll and hyde ......in me.
        A bit like the wolf man changing in the old movies ...

I'll look at that other option ....
        Any other ideas to prevent mental health issues
        adjusting brake lever connection .....?
        UKJULES
        1980 Suzuki GS550ET
        1977 Yamaha RD 250D
        1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
        1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

You can borrow my lump hammer.
          I've calmed down a bit and won't need it until the next full moon.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I changed to a Kawasaki MC when I put Salty Monk’s twin pot set up in my 550 which gave me a different switch type. Charmayne still has the stock MC so we just have to be careful when we adjust it which hasn’t been that often
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've spent a good half hour crawling around the garage looking for that little spring in the past.
              1981 Suzuki GS250T
              1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
              1985 Suzuki GS550E
              2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Some have installed a hydraulic switch in place of the banjo bolt. I have found that it takes quite a bit of pressure to activate the switch. Enough pressure that the brakes are already well-applied. You can't just flick the lever a bit to flash your brake lights to the person behind you.

I just rebuilt my switch. Thought I had a replacement available, but did not find it within a reasonable time.

One of the tracks had recessed into the board, so the slider that is pushed by the spring could not make contact with both tracks. Some careful desoldering of the wires, re-alignment of the tracks, then soldering the wires back to the board and my front switch is working again.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I reckon merely by discussing this, a brilliant
                  solution will be found..... hopefully before
                  we all have to start the ghastly ordeal again !

I ask this question while both my Suzuki's
                  are ok, but know the horror if adjustment is
                  required.

The only other way is to insist all humans
                  and animal life are to be cleared from the garage
                  vicinity for the afternoon while work is in progress.

I both laugh and cry at the post where
                  you spent a good time looking for that damned spring !!!
                  It is so familiar !
                  UKJULES
                  1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                  1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                  1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                  1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

First time was a real PITA, tiny little spring & very small pieces. From then on, I knew what to expect & what to do & not do while removing & replacing the stupidly simple little thing. Still aggravating but not near as bad as the first time. Yes, not a good design, I've replaced several on Suzuki's but never remember a problem with a Honda or Kawa. switch.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                      I've spent a good half hour crawling around the garage looking for that little spring in the past.
                      Haha, I know that feeling!!
                      81 GS750L 16v

Comment

If you're in the US you can get a whole new replacement from Dennis Kirk for $8....

Find the K & S Front Brake Light Switch for Suzuki at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Motorcycle parts and accessories including the K & S Front Brake Light Switch for Suzuki.

You get all this (except one of those screws is wrong):

Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                          If you're in the US you can get a whole new replacement from Dennis Kirk for $8....

Find the K & S Front Brake Light Switch for Suzuki at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Motorcycle parts and accessories including the K & S Front Brake Light Switch for Suzuki.

You get all this (except one of those screws is wrong):

Yup. It's a really stupid setup, but it does work reliably if you replace the worn/corroded/damaged components and adjust carefully.

Just replace the switch assembly, carefully adjust (note how the little housing has slots in it) and it'll be fine for a few more decades. The aftermarket versions for under $10 work OK, but the OEM version of the switch is around $25 and is better quality.

I have had to file the slots in the housing a wee bit to get the engagement point where I want it.

Most importantly, remember that this switch is in there if you ever need to remove or replace the lever. Take care when you replace the lever to ensure the little plastic nubbin gets into the right slot.

And if you do need to replace your brake lever, only use OEM Suzuki; the aftermarket levers from Motion Pro, Parts Unlimited, fleaBay, etc. are very sloppily made imitations and the switch slot can be problematic. OEM levers are reasonably priced and will save you a lot of aggravation. For example, the brake lever for my '83 GS850G is only $20.45.

For that matter, the same applies to the clutch levers and cables; the low-rent imitations wear out quickly and end up costing you more money and aggravation. If you break a clutch cable, replace the lever at the same time.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
                            Haha, I know that feeling!!
                            me too! Finally, a bright flashlight on the floor really helped delineate it, looking along the floor's surface. t'was Amazing to me how much stuff shows up!

But I've since given up entirely on the stock switch. Now, I have the hydraulic ones on 3 bikes. Some do say they don't work or fail, but I haven't had one fail yet.
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-06-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I can barely believe it ....
                              Just talking about this switch and you got it mine
                              has now stopped working on the gsx 250 (intermittently).

So now I have to in the freezing weather do
                              the unthinkable .....

I am so gonna research where and how to do these
                              hydraulic ones. ebay it is .....
                              UKJULES
                              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment