Flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooding

My 85' GS 550L is flooding quite often. Is this a carb problem?

Re: Flooding

Originally posted by Ride_Havoc
    My 85' GS 550L is flooding quite often. Is this a carb problem?
    If it's not the carbs, it's your wrist. What is your starting method? I assume it's flooding at startup.

On a properly tuned bike you should just use choke and the start button. There is no need for throttle as long as the float bowls already have gas in them.

Comment

Start up is fine

No my bike is fine on start up. I never need to give it gas to start it. It just floods at weird times. Like I could have just ridden for an hour on the highway and then as soon as I get back in town it wont stay running at an intersection and I can smell gas and the exaust smokes.

Comment

Oh sorry

and I have even seen gas dripping from inbetween the carbs and air intake

Comment

sounds like you have a needle valve that is sticking on you. If this is the case, you are in for a Carb cleaning. Go to the Carb cleaning section on the home page. There are step-by-step instructions for cleaning your carbs. You will also want to get a set of o-rings from Robert Barr.

Comment

I agree, a good carb cleaning is in order. Along with the o-rings, you may want to replace the gaskets on the float bowls. Make sure your float-height is set right as well.

Here's the link to the cleaning instructions.

Comment

Working...
            X