Foam Pods vs. K&N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foam Pods vs. K&N

I want to try using Foam Pods on an 80' GS750L cause I think they will keep the water out of the carbs (on rainy days) better than my K&Ns. In addition, I would like to keep from changing the needles and jets. The cycle I'm working on still has stock needles and jets and I want to keep it that way. Has anyone ever used "Foam Pods"? (I'm having trouble installing the air-box collars). If the Foam Pods don't do the trick I'll just buy new air-box collars as Terry/humhead suggested.

Much Thanks from the Mountains: dtkid

I have a 1982 GS 750 EX. I had foam pods on and have since gone to EMGO K&N type both required jetting changes. There is no way I know that you can modify the air intake and not have to change the fuel (jetting). I used 127.5 on the main jet and it works fine with both types of pods. I also have a four into one exhaust. Hope that helps.

Comment

I have emgo pods and I have yet to have any problems running in the rain. If you bike is jetted correctly it should run fine in the rain and out of the rain.

Comment

Yeah it surprises me every time Detman comes over and it rains. I had a set on my old Maxim and remember being trapped for a little while at my angry ex-girlfriends apartment. I decided instead of going back in to her warm and dry apartment, to stand in the rain and beg the bike to start while acting as a ground incase any lightning struck.. It started eventually, but backfired as it swallowed water most of the way home. As is my luck I guess...
        2010 Honda VFR1200F
        1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
        Being Revisited
        1981 Honda CM400T
        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

its true man

and i think its' even worse on cold days-- i saw a post here a while back that made me first think about the water the k&n's let in.

Comment

Having owned 3.5 GS's and 20+ bikes, I will say this, Pod filters whatever brand means you either re-jet or use starting fluid to get the bike going, sometimes both.
            However Rain never was a real problem for me.
            Go ahead, ask me about the .5 GS!!! I dare ya!

Comment

A few weeks ago I got stuck in a DELUGE. It was raining so hard the sky turned pitch black. Water was pouring into my helmet vents, spraying off the wheels onto my a$$, I looked down at the tires, they had to be in 3 inches of water. My K&N conical pods were no issue whatsoever for the 30 minutes I was in that rain.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyKarl02
                Having owned 3.5 GS's and 20+ bikes, I will say this, Pod filters whatever brand means you either re-jet or use starting fluid to get the bike going, sometimes both.
                However Rain never was a real problem for me.
                Go ahead, ask me about the .5 GS!!! I dare ya!
                *Dares* :twisted:

Comment

understanding the scientific process and statistical analysis methodology does in know way provide me with enough expertise to explain the differing behavoir of all of our machines. for a fact: my jets are correct, my plugs look great, the mixture is neither rich or lean and........ my bikes (with k&n pods) take up water when it is cold and rainy...... admittedly, i've only been doing this for 30years but, i also know that physics is physics and sometimes what should or shouldn't work in fact does! i live by this: if chicken-fat works.... use it!

thanks for the knowledge and i'll provide feedback on the need "to re-jet or not to re-jet" with these uni-pods (on my 81' gs750l with stock pipes which have been saw-zawwed at the passenger pegs and baffles removed). it could be that some of this is magic- perhaps that is why we ride------the magic.

much thanks from the mountains: david

Comment

understanding the scientific process and statistical analysis methodology does in know way provide me with enough expertise to explain the differing behavoir of all of our machines. for a fact: my jets are correct, my plugs look great, the mixture is neither rich or lean and........ my bikes (with k&n pods) take up water when it is cold and rainy...... admittedly, i've only been doing this for 30years but, i also know that physics is physics and sometimes what should or shouldn't work in fact does! i live by this: if chicken-fat works.... use it!

thanks for the knowledge and i'll provide feedback on the need "to re-jet or not to re-jet" with these uni-pods (on my 81' gs750l with stock pipes which have been saw-zawwed at the passenger pegs and baffles removed). it could be that some of this is magic- perhaps that is why we ride------the magic.

much thanks from the mountains: david

Comment

My question doesn't have to do with Pods but is a air filter question.

I ordered a new stock filter for my 850G this week. What kind of oil am I supposed to treat it with once I install it? Also I know the weather stripping trick but does it need to be done for both sides of the air box AND the top of the filter element to get a good seal? Not sure what I would use to glue the weather strip to the metal so it does not peel off when trying to reinstall the filter.

Comment

need to know the cycle

Comment

oops

sorry: i see now that the first thing you stated was the bike. if the filter is snnugly fit into the air-box as it is in the 750s; you can use weather stripping or a cut piece of foam to seal/snug it up. i have use foam and blue silicone (to stablelize the foam) at the same end of the air box. when i did it, i siliconed a piece of gray foam rubber to the input end and let it cure for a day. it stayed nice and stable for a solid year; then i went to pods.

Comment

I installed UNI foam pods and did not have to mess with the carbs at all ('87 GS450). From what I've heard and read the K&N filters let in a lot more air than the UNI pods or stock filter. If your bike runs with the K&N filters and stock jets I would imagine that the jets could handle the UNIs.

Comment

Working...
                            X