Light bulb-where do I find them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light bulb-where do I find them?

The gear position indicator lights on my 81 GS450t are not all functioning, and I'd like to replace the set, but not at the $3.22 each Bike Bandit wants for them! Anyone have any idea of there's an exchange bulb, or a crossover number for those tiny bulbs? The bike bandit number is 474274-001- if this is the only place I'll get the ones i need but if I can buy them somewhere for, say, half that I'd like to buy the whole set. I mean, twenty bucks for a couple of bulbs you could fit in an envelope does not appeal to my cheaper nature.

Led?

I wish I had a better answer... But, I was thinking of replacing mine with Red LEDs. They are cheap and never go out. Just a thought, as I am still doing research.

Comment

I just bought a couple from Suzuki. They have a special plastic base to plug into the indicator. The bulb itself is a small 2 wire unit. Don't know the wattage, but I'm guessing if a LED of the same size fits in the base, it would probably work. That is if it works in the 10 -14 volt range.

Comment

JT Motorsports (Crotchrocket.com) has what seems to be the same bulb (their part no. 09471-12071) for $2.91 each, and they will ship by USPS. I don't know the shipping charge, but it should be reasonable.

Comment

Thanks!

I'll get what I need from JT and keep looking around for LED replacements etc.

I hate doing things over and over again, especially when it comes to the time it takes to dismantle that goofy instrument cluster.

Comment

I just found this thread but thought I'd add something that might be useful. These small gear indicator bulbs are still available from Suzuki if you want to pay almost 4 bucks each. I found a suitable replacement at Radio Shack for about a buck. It's Radio Shack part #272-1141 simply called "Mini Lamp". It'll take a little work but can save you money and time. The bulb is identical to the one used in the gear indicator with one exception, it has hookup leads attached. The have to be removed. With an X-Acto knife I was able to carefully strip away the clear plastic and scrape away the glue to get to the bare leads. The Suzuki bulb is in a rubber holder and the bulb leads are simply fed through the holes and bent over (much like Christmas tree light bulbs). Just pop the new bulb into the holder being careful to make sure the leads feed through the holes then plug it back on to the circuit board, done!

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
              JT Motorsports (Crotchrocket.com) has what seems to be the same bulb (their part no. 09471-12071) for $2.91 each, and they will ship by USPS. I don't know the shipping charge, but it should be reasonable.

Yeah, but you could end up waiting half the winter until they decide to get off their butts and order anything -- JTM/Crotchrocket is pretty famous around here for looooooooong delays and absolutely nonexistent customer service. They do charge your card the very second you order, though -- nothing slow about that.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                Yeah, but you could end up waiting half the winter until they decide to get off their butts and order anything -- JTM/Crotchrocket is pretty famous around here for looooooooong delays and absolutely nonexistent customer service. They do charge your card the very second you order, though -- nothing slow about that.
                Thanks for the info. I've never ordered from them, and had not heard negative feedback. They had been recommended for their lower OEM parts prices, but long delays, precharges and lack of customer service would negate any price advantage.

Disregarding JTM/Crotchrocket, it looks like onchiman has come up with a good solution for those thrifty souls who don't mind a bit of wire stripping. Thanks, onchiman.

Comment

Working...
                X