80 550L carb options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 550L carb options

What other carbs will fit on my 1980 550L?

The 1981 should be the same. Not sure about the 82 or 83's. What's wrong with yours?

Comment

Carb problems

My carbs have alot of varnish in them. Could I use the older mid to late 70's style carbs? Also what about larger carbs like a 650?

Comment

The pre-1980 bikes had smaller throats and won't fit. The 650 carbs would have bigger passages and jets but might bolt up. It's pretty easy to clean up the old carbs if your a little handy with some tools, and have some descent tools. Go to http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm Buy a set of O-Rings from www.cycleorings.com ahead of time. Get 4 cans of good carb cleaner in a can and follow the instructions from the link above. Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way and don't use cheap screwdrivers. If your not going to soak them you wont have to remove the butterflys or shaft seals and the rest is a piece of cake. Remove the covers on the airscrews with drywall screws in the hole and pry it out. Don't use a screwdriver that touches the threads in the holes. Screw the screws down till gently seated(count the number of turns for each carb and record the info for when you reassemble), then remove them. A little lube will help and use a good screwdriver with plenty of downward pressure when turning it out or it will slip and you'll be in a world of hurt. When you remove the float pin use a small punch and hammer and tap it out.

Comment

Working...
        X