gs detuned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs detuned?

i was talking about the gs at work, and one of my fellow employies ask me if i new that the gs was detuned by the factory before it was released as
    a production unit. he said the pre production units that were in the country being evaluated before the actual production release, were
    much faster.
    i had never heard this before, can anyone shed some light on this for
    me?
    thanks...

Aaaaand what country might you be talking about?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

i am in the us. california

Comment

There was some good drugs back in the 70's wasn't there?

detuned? No overbuilt yes
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

[quote=KGB]There was some good drugs back in the 70's wasn't there?
          :-D

Comment

He may be talking about the various HP ratings of the same model in other countries. Some models were most likely estimated, exaggerated, or translated to whatever number people would believe. Others were not.

Do the math if you want proof. I think there's a program on one of the motorcycle drag racing sites. If you plug in the correct weight of a GS with some of the published 1/4 mile times of the era, you'll find they were pretty close on the HP numbers...

...Or you may just be on good drugs.
            Since when is California part of the U.S., anyway
            Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ikuzus
              i was talking about the gs at work, and one of my fellow employies ask me if i new that the gs was detuned by the factory before it was released as
              a production unit. he said the pre production units that were in the country being evaluated before the actual production release, were
              much faster.
              i had never heard this before, can anyone shed some light on this for
              me?
              thanks...
              The GS1100 was actually tailored from the factory to be a fast 1/4 mile bike to beat the CBX and Kawie's. I bought a new one in 1980 and took it out and it ran as promised after I got the cams dialed in and put a pipe and Dynojet kit in it. I ran 11.20's with it. That was enough to outrun the CBX's, GPZ's and hopped up 900's here in Bakersfield. Then I tore it down and out some real horsepower in it (-:

Comment

Working...
              X