Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter

I change my oil every 2000 miles and change the filter once a year. Should I change my filter every oil change? I have to drop my headers and it is a pita. But I'll do it happily if it increased the life of my motor. Plus do I have to change the oil more often if I run with K&N pods? One more, can I clean a K&N crankcase breather, it didn't say on the packaging.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

My personal opinion (and I'll grant you that I have a clear shot to my oil filter) is that it should be changed every oil change. Think of it this way, as soon as the oil starts to circulate it is picking up all of the junk from the old filter. Besides, for the $4 a Fram filter costs, its worth it to me.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I used to live in Pittsburgh. Went to culinary school there. First in Oakland(ughh) then Belleview and then downtown at the Washington Plaza on the border of the Hill District(Double UGHH) Pennsylvania is beautiful country, now I live in a brown dusty desert.
      Bill
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I see you haven't been here in a while...
        1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I moved in 95 to CA. Why do you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
            I change my oil every 2000 miles and change the filter once a year. Should I change my filter every oil change? I have to drop my headers and it is a pita. But I'll do it happily if it increased the life of my motor. Plus do I have to change the oil more often if I run with K&N pods? One more, can I clean a K&N crankcase breather, it didn't say on the packaging.
            i dont know about the pods but i change my oil every 1500 miles and my filter every other time,But my oil looks as clean after 1500 as it does when I put it in.I clean and oil my air filter every 1500 miles,and plugs every 2000 miles.It also give's me a reason to hang out in the garage if the in-laws show up!

Comment

I moved in 95 to CA. Why do you say that?
              Property taxes are going up. The population is going down. Crime rate is pretty pathetic. We had two stadiums that the citizens voted against in a ballot referendum shoved down our throats and paid for with tax payer money. The roads are garbage. The schools are getting worse by the year. That in and of itself is part of the reason I want to get out. My daughter is almost 5 months old so I'm already making my plans to leave. Other than that, its a great place to live!
              1981 GS 450L

Comment

The STATE of Pennsylvania is beautiful, not Fort Pitts. The only time I missed Pittsburgh was when I saw it in my rear view mirror. I got robbed the very first day I lived there(Oakland, go figure) Downtown was really nice in the summer with Point Park and the Regatta. Mt Washington was cool, Strip district, Station Square and who could forget the Andy Warhol museum.

Comment

I guess you're right. If you get far enough out of the metro area it gets nicer.
                  1981 GS 450L

Comment

That really depends on how many miles you ride in a year onthat bike... if you do 12,000 miles or more in a year, then it's probably not good.

If you do 4,000 to 6,000 or less, then yeah, you're probably OK.

I've never been to Philly, so I have nothing to contribute as far as that goes...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Don't know what you got till it's gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X