850 Brake Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 Brake Calipers

Hi I have a gs850g and I have been having problems bleeding the brakes.I have braided hoses and have tried a different master cylinder but the brakes are still spongey.I thought the hoses would sort it but the brakes are still soft.The calipers do not leak but would changing them make any difference?Confused Mark P

Sounds like air in the system to me. Try removing the master cylinder cap and loosen the bleed screw just enough to get the fluid to drip...very slowly. Make sure there is plenty of fluid in the master cylinder and walk away. 3-5 min later, top of the fluid (don't let the master run low enough to draw air in or you will have to start over). Tighten the bleed screw and move onto the banjo bolt. Repeat the process. Finally, with all screws/bolts tight, use a cheapo bungee or ruber strap and wrap the brake lever tightly and secure it to the bike. With the master cover off, refill the cylinder and leave for the night.

The next morning, with the bungee/strap still in place, loosen the bleeder screw slightly and if there is any air left in the system, it should bubble out. If all the air is not out on the first shot, you may have to repeat this last step. This process has always worked for me, no matter what the ride.

Comment

[quote= Repeat the process. Finally, with all screws/bolts tight, use a cheapo bungee or [COLOR=red]ruber[/COLOR] strap quote]

To read rubber strap.........

Comment

Two things I've run into that may or may not help you...

1) When I had new SS lines made by a local shop, the aluminum crush washers they provided were CRAP and wouldn't seal no matter what. And they wanted $1 each for more.

So I got mad and ordered a supply of high quality crush washers from Spiegler. They worked perfectly the first time.
        Spiegler Performance Parts was founded on the concept of providing motorcycle enthusiasts custom motorcycle accessories and performance parts via inno

Spiegler makes really nice brake lines, too... This may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

2) I have never been successful bleeding motorcycle brakes without a vacuum pump. A MityVac at the nearest auto parts store is about $25 - $30 and will save you a lot of time and heartache. It's a five minute job with the MityVac.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Brakes

Hi thanks for the info................I will give it a try......fingers crossed! cheers Mark P:-D

Comment

It's worth trying the rubber-strap-on-the-brake-lever trick, too -- it won't hurt anything and might work and save you a few bucks. Or quid. Or whatever.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X